Which Camshaft?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Which Camshaft?

Post by Rasmus »

ok, here we are.

I took the insurance off the Tercel because now I want it to be a wintercross car, ONLY, so now its time for a little more power than 60 hp.

check http://enormouslysideways.net/cams.html please and let me know what you thin for cam:

I want max power, screw drivability, I have a Weber 32/36, getting the head shaved as much as i can, pocket porting it, making my own tubular exhaust manifold and much stronger valve springs.

Thanks.

- R
Last edited by Rasmus on Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I love my tercel :)
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I think its .net..... At least Google says so... And you went "Way over my bandwidth, Didn't I?" Well, I'm telling you about it, lol.

I am curious about cams as well. Though I do want drivability, I want more horsies and torque. Not massively higher in the power band though. If I want something with peak torque above 3k, I'll go find a 4AGE lol.

Then you and I are going to struggle with the same thing Rasmus. I'm looking at tubular headers as well.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

OK, to assist myself, I have tried a Desktop Dyno program...

check out http://calgaryvolvoclub.com/Dyno2000.zip

extract and save somewhere, run the Dyno2000.exe and check out the contents of tercel!.dyn

Thanks.

- R
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i think you can get away with stock valvetrain with a 248 * duration cam, and also keep some fuel economy, but if you want power no matter what go for the 300 * and expect to break engines a lot
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

optimal is the ~260 duration cam with mild lift ~10mm

def. big difference over stock, and yes, i'll need double valve springs.

- R
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

i can see the centerlobes are not that far apart so there would be almost no overlaping, schneider sells the springs and retainers, ill see where i can buy some titanium so i can make them if they dont exist

cam + titanium bits + aluminum rockers + lead foot = busted tranny and a whloe lot of fun
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come