TITS....Turbocharged Intercooled Tercel Stationwagon

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

TITS....Turbocharged Intercooled Tercel Stationwagon

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

well after much avail and research + designing of manifolds and many considerations its time to turbocharge the tercel. all this maybes and cants i see just piss me off. so ive decided to start a litle journey you will all be able to see happen right here. whilst it will be slow and tedious in the end hopefully it will work alright. so lets all start off with step 1...proof of concept.

Heres a few ideas i have floating around at the moment.

-4A runnin ported 3A-SCV head i have lying around doing nothing
- being a non crossflow enging means really easy to locate a tc
-cut exhaust manifold off nearly flush and weld on a 90" curved bend facing upwards with turbo flange welded on
-not doing dodgy efi...efi sucks. people claim bout power and stuff but no...no efi for me. instead side draught SU 1.25 or alternatively DCOE 45 single.
- suck thru carby set up. not dodgy blow thru
-intake manifold will be quite easy although i dont really like the idea of modifying stock on. might make one up
-only looking at pulling 6 - 8 psi MAX
-wastegate and pressure will be turbo controlled. once again no more dodgy computers.

MOST IMPORTANTLY.....
I dont really care about performance. i just wanna see a carby turbo suck through unit in action. no i dont want 4agze or 4age or 4agte or anything else. i know i can make more power by doing other things but this is purely experimentational. i mean...why not? ahahha

So where im at now....

Phase 1- Design and planning
-Numerous hours spent looking at exhaust manifold and planning it. i think dodgy cutting and welding will actually work quite good???
- many phone calls about intakes made to some performance shops.can be made up but alot of dough...couldnt i just take the output of the turbo and simply feed it into stock manifold with a vacuum shaped adaptor? bit suss but worth a try
- Oil seems relatively easy. t piece from pressure sender and other line to turbo the feed back into rocker cover.
-compression seems good enough in engine. i mean im only gonna be forcing 6 - 8 psi in there anyway.

SOOOO the next step is getting the goods. first i gotta pick out a turbo and work up from that. now remember im a tightarse looking for a second hand or cheap one out of an old car and it cant be ridiculously big. im thinkin nissan exa? fold laser tx3? suggestions anyone..

I know its a big project and seems pointless but stick by me. this will happen
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

well as far as i see you have pretty much the plan laid out

as for the manifold welding it will work, but it will crack eventually, you would have to use quality flex pipe to insure the maximum longevity of the manifold

as for the turbo, any turbo from a saab 900 turbo, or volvo will work, or a turbo from a 300d mercedes benz they are as close to having an external wastegate you can get and those turbos is rarely a boost spike

if you are in australia you can get a carb for a metro turbo they work well and support up to 180 hp

youll need a clutch oviusly

and get a very high qualioty fluids for the tranny

pd. intercooling is not possible in suck through, also for tonung you can use a pyrometer
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

An intercooler won't work on this setup because the air-fuel mix goes through the turbo and if you have an intercooler for this mix to go through... the results could be nasty if there were a spark somewhere.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Awesome! Can't wait to see how it works out. Please do keep us posted.

Your plan sounds good, but tercel4wd has a bit of a point about the intercooler. Not so much the spark issue, but will funny things happen to the air/fuel mixture as it goes through the intercooler? Will you get fuel pooling in the bottom of the intercooler or anything weird like that?

Good luck!
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Intercooling can't happen buddy. Sorry.
Welding on cast iron is not a good idea. crack-zilla. might just have to get a bolt-on adapter of some kind. Or you'll have to go custom header.
There are some good write-ups on homemade intake manifolds. Seems easy enough to do.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I think I remember seeing pics of a non-crossflow Datsun 510 with a turbo mounted right on the intake manifold and the exhaust coming up to it. And a sidedraft carb on the compressor inlet.

I've heard that welded cast iron can last longer if you heat the whole thing in an oven prior to welding it and then put it back in the oven to gradually cool it.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

you can also have the turbo forcing air into the carb rather than sucking air through the carb, alot of air cooled VW guys have done this.
I don't think you can boost much over 4PSI however.

as far as welding the manifold, I beleive Gasoline fumes is right, but in the name of keeping things simple, i would opt for some sort of adapter.

also, flex pipe will be useless as a downpipe from the turbo, it will melt.
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

intercooler

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

yeah realised that after doing the post. duh what a retarded thing for me to type. of course it wouldnt work and would majorly disrupt air/fuel flow. exhaust manifolding i have already planned and sorted. hardest thing is gonna be getting the outlet from the turbo exhause to the rear pipe. alot of trial and error there. maybe i will just solid bolt the engine into the frame.hahaha. hardest part at the moment is finding a cheap turbo to experiment with. more pondering today and planning at work leads me to think of this idea...

What if i simply bolted an adaptor onto the top of the standard carby and made a blow through system?? how much PSI do you think standard aisin seals would work. without taking into consideration emissions and secondary vacuum barrel what is the basic idea sound like? i would appreciate alot of input cause im doing a hell of alot of brainstorming...
84 SR5, 4A, 75W Globes, CB Radio, Twin 13" Subs with Twin 750W Amps, Neons, 15" Enkei Rims Fitted With 215 65-15 Tyres, 200000Km on clock, GPS, Hood Scoop and plenty more to come. I love my terc
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

hp

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

yeah im not really focused on HP at the moment. i mean i could put in a cam from crow, a 32/36 or those set of DCOE40's that i sold with a proper set of extractors and electronic ignition and probably make the same if not better power but hey...how many carburetted turbo's do you see. as long as i get that satisfying whistle i will have no problems
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

Blow thru turbo proof of concept

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

alright so suck through turbo is deemed to hard after consulting a few people as SU's are hard to get in good nick and generally not worth it with alot of heat dissapation travelling to carby and other parts. so blow thru it is. Today i pulled old tercel carby off SCV head and did the following.

-General clean
-took all unnecesary emissions and choke solenoind off so now theres no choke
- put solder in each of the vacuum hose brass endings as you can see in this photo
-milled out an elbow connector piece of pipe to fit the top air cleaner flange and fitted it
*it will be bolted on so dont worry.
-manually closed the throttles with fingers and wella!!!
Very very minor leakage of air but for a basic concept it has worked brilliantly. this means that all 6 - 8 psi of boost flowing from turbo will stay in the carby and not leak out.

!!!NOW!!!
heres a few considerations and mods i will have to do and would love your input.

-Notice i had to block off and convert the secondary vacuum barrel actuator and run a seperate pipe to it. this is to block off the air flow. i will somehow have to engage the secondary with another vacuum source (i.e straight from the manifold or a seperate vacuum compressor)
-how the hell am i going to get the vacuum ignition to work????
- i will have to put in a bigger fuel pump to raise the pressure.. ie if im blowing 8 psi of boost and the fuel pumps only supplying 6 then fuel is going to get blown back down the pipes because the float will stay forced open. correct???
-the plastic elbow is just a temporary...i know it will melt so will get a metal one made when it all goes together.

What are you guys thinkin?

edit..notice ive left the TPS solenoid on there. i use that as a high idle switch on my existing carby with a switch on the dash to get the car to happy operating temperature and to keep the revs up so the alternator charges
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Why not just convert it to a mechanical secondary? Basically just put a light spring on the secondary stretched across where the vacuum diaphragm was. Just don't pick a spring that's too strong, it might pull the secondary open at idle.

Make sure the float bowl "sees" the boost too. Otherwise I think you'll go lean under boost. And yeah, I think you'll want more fuel pressure. I don't know if they exist for carburetor applications, but a pressure regulator that receives a vacuum/boost signal from the manifold would be ideal. That way you won't be giving the carb way too much pressure when not making boost.

I think the vacuum ignition advance will be just fine. It will work normally when not making boost and should just fully retard the timing under boost. But you still might have to retard the base timing a little depending on the fuel you're using.

I should point out that I haven't built any turbo setups yet, this is just stuff I've researched and/or figured out myself. I haven't tested any of it myself besides the mechanical secondary.
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

hmm

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

yeah i was fiddling with mechanical secondaries after the post. just gotta get right spring. i think i will have to put larger jets in or take them to enginering shop to get them jetted bigger. as for fuel pump still have alot of research. this weekend hopefully going turbo hunting
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I believe that you can buy rising rate fuel pressure regulators that keep the fuel pressure x-amount above the boost pressure. As mentioned you will need a higher pressure fuel pump feeding into the RRFPR though. Maybe just use an in-line electric?

A friend of mine setup a low boost blow through turbo setup on his KP61 Starlet with a 4kc. I can ask him how he did things if you get stuck. There might even be a write-up he did somewhere. He did it really low cost, and kept the engine basically OEM. Let me know.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

No biggie.
I think he's still going through with it, just re-thinking his approach. He had wanted to do it so the fuel and air are pulled into the turbo, but then he can't use an intercooler. So instead, he's figuring out how to have it so the turbo pulls in normal air, goes past the intercooler, THEN gets a fuel charge. And how to execute the exhaust aspect of it.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Aussie_3ASCV
Advanced Member

retard

Post by Aussie_3ASCV »

oh im still going through with it for sure. just have to get a turbo. i cant walk down to the local shops and pick one up just like that terceldude. i cant just turbo my tercel in 1 - 2 weeks. theres alot of planning involved. if your in such a rush why dont you spend the time doing it and planning it? or in other words back off and dont assume that ive just given up. anyway now ive had my whinge i will get back to the plan.

so just lost bid on ebay for turbo for 130$...f*%k! im thinking of cruising to pick a part and having a look. ive given a bif of consideration to exhaust and am gonna do a really basic j loop wrap around. so i will be in touch more when i pick up a turbo