MR2... 4WD... What to Do?

Post here about...well...anything!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

MR2... 4WD... What to Do?

Post by Typrus »

Well, I'm lost for my Terc right now. I'm so frustrated with all the dying parts and my lack of ability to replace them, I've started looking at other options. The previous MR2 I found turns out to have not been sold, as it is back at the owners house. $3k I believe is what they were asking last time. Might've lowered it by now. There is a silver one in Denver for $5k also. Considering these with a fury. But I must know what I need to look for in terms of issues. I need a car that'll go at least a year without crapping out on me, though preferrably longer... Help?

With my Terc, I'm rebuilding the 84 engine so far, and now need to do brakes again. May have them done though to prevent this kind of crap.
On top of that I want to fix anything that can go wrong. So I'll need to rebuild my front and rear suspension, including coil springs, redo the ignition system, probably replace the tranny... Anyway I may be hitting upwards of $4k for the whole list.

What should I do? I refuse to just scrap the Terc as it has such a nice body, but I also can't afford to keep fixing things as they break...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

You could look at it this way, as I have been doing with mine - and hopefully not rationalizing too much:
1. The car is clean internally and externally. Mine is not quite as nice inside as yours, but it is totally rust-free.
2. A new car that gets 30 +/- mpg that is as clean as yours (and practical, compared to a Mister Two) is gonna be many more bucks.
3. Mine cost $1075, and apart from time and tools, I've spent about $2000 since. I still need to do struts, tie rods, and CVs, and the center shaft bearing (I think) is still growling. Oh, sure, I might have to put in a clutch in a couple of years, but that's it! So, with mentioned expenses, I'll have about $3500 in the car. 'Course, that would be without the universal turbocharger...

The key (and again, hopefully not rationalizing too much), is that I should have a car that is reliable, economical, with major components new or rebuilt, and I know what's going on with it and I can fix it, which will save on labor. Of course, if I were using it off-roading, or it was not so clean, the expense might be a little hard to justify, even though I have no Purchasing Agent (aka wife) looking over my shoulder.

I'm looking at this for the long haul (pun intended) and not just as a toy (again, pun intended).
Tom M.
PS: I do save all of my receipts, in case I get slammed into and the car is totalled - which would not take too much, given that it is 20 years-old. I will fight any insurance company that would offer me Bluebook!!!!!

PPS: Has anyone experienced any encounters with an insurance company over collision damage or totalling this or any other "mature" car that is clean and/or of special interest? And I don't mean an old Rolls or Bentley or any of that ilk.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Yeah, but I've got already over a grand in her and am looking soon at more than 2 grand, if not more.
Once again, I need anyones opinion on the matter. The Mister Two should get upper 20's if its running nice, and I'm usually alone in my car. However, It does snow here, it does get icey here, and occasionally I like to be able to throw a few things in the back.

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Heres the notes I took while speaking to the owner

Lowish miles
Dumping too much gas
Hesitant low down
Plenty of power
Plugged injector?
Faulty sensor?
Sudden bursts of power high up then clean power, though maybe rich lower down
9-Rims... Enkei? Nice looking
1988-89?
Rides on rails
T-Top Bags included

Smells rich low down. Bogs if you hammer low down, but is alright if you ease into it.

He basically said that after they let it sit for 2 years, it ran well for an afternoon then started behaving oddly.
It is hesitant down low, and doesn't like to accelerate if you are heavy on it. After it gets a bit higher up, it feels like it kicked on an extra cylinder or 2 (as per his description) and it suddenly flies and stays alright till its low down again. It smells rich idling and at low speeds (and apparently acts like it).

My personal suspicions include- clogged fuel filter/air filter, deposits in the fuel system, deposits in the oil system, chewed wires, or a blown sensor.

Input?

Wife wants no less than $3000. He says he'd like to see it go for $2000. I said if it worked out I'd offer $2500.

takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Can't beat the old T4WD for what you get?

4WD and the ability to carry 800+ lbs....and the room to get stuff in there. Plus mileage that is equivalent to the 4WD Ford Escape Hybrid...which only sets you back by $25K.

I used to trade cars when I got bored with them...my excuse was usually that something mechanical was wrong.

I think you are drivng your car a little hard...and maybe your sister is too?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

Well since you say the body is really good it's worth keeping your T4WD! While I like MR2's too you still aren't guarenteed a proper running vehicle. At least with your Terc you know somewhat what is going on with it and slowly you can repair. If your prepared to pay $2500 for an MR2 consider investing that money in your beloved Terc as it sounds to me you don't want to give it up. Keep it man don't give up. Plus I'd miss your great posts too!
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Part of what I've been considering is to get the MR2, have a fantasy turnabout in it, fix whats wrong, exchange the exhaust and shiney the engine up with some cheap stuff and sell it for maybe $4000. I'm sure someone in this area'd buy that. Though I can't say I wouldn't fall in love... (shrug)
I've also figured that at very least the Terc'd stay in the family (preferrably with mom or dad)
For those of you who believe, throw some prayer my way... I really need that guidance. Its easy enough to just jump on the sportscar, but is that the right choice for me in the long run?

GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Typrus wrote:Heres the notes I took while speaking to the owner

Lowish miles
Dumping too much gas
Hesitant low down
Plenty of power
Plugged injector?
Faulty sensor?
1988-89?
Rides on rails
T-Top Bags included

Smells rich low down. Bogs if you hammer low down, but is alright if you ease into it.

He basically said that after they let it sit for 2 years, it ran well for an afternoon then started behaving oddly.
It is hesitant down low, and doesn't like to accelerate if you are heavy on it. After it gets a bit higher up, it feels like it kicked on an extra cylinder or 2 (as per his description) and it suddenly flies and stays alright till its low down again. It smells rich idling and at low speeds (and apparently acts like it).

My personal suspicions include- clogged fuel filter/air filter, deposits in the fuel system, deposits in the oil system, chewed wires, or a blown sensor.

Input?

Wife wants no less than $3000. He says he'd like to see it go for $2000. I said if it worked out I'd offer $2500.
The price seems kinda steep considering how it's running. I think maybe the $2000 is about right. The problem that they are talking about with the rich running etc. could be sorted out pretty easy. the 4age being an EFI engine is really easy to work on. You can short out a diagnostic connector jumper, and the engine light will flash certain codes and tell you if there are any errors with the sensors. My guess is that the TPS (throttle position sensor) might need adjustment, or the AFM (air flow meter) is toast. More likely though, a good tune up (new airfilter, plugs, wires, cap/rotor, ignition timing adjust, timing belt, etc. would fix nearly all the problems). Absolute main thing to check is that it's not burning oil, and the compression is good. Otherwise you'll end up spending lots more money doing a head job, and maybe ring job etc.

As to which car to keep? Keep both! :D Thats what I did. Get the best of both worlds. But, I know that you probably can't afford that as you are probably planning on school still etc. In practical respects, you are probably best off keeping your tercel. It is in amazing condition. You could eventually swap a 4age into it if you can afford the down time on your car while you work on it. Whether you have an 80's tercel, or an 80's MR2 though, both will have many things that will need repair and replacement. So don't expect the bugs and old car issues of your tercel to go away with an mr2. Also, many parts for the MR2 are more expensive (axles, brakes, clutch, engine parts, etc.). It does seem like you'd be WAY happier in an MR2. You do seem to like power/handling/speed more than 4wding.

Just more food for thought...
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

jetswim wrote: Plus I'd miss your great posts too!
He ain't the only one ! ! !
Typrus wrote: I've also figured that at very least the Terc'd stay in the family (preferrably with mom or dad)
What - Sis is not in your list? :lol:
As you know, been there, done that; mine will never drive mine!!!
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I used to own a 91 Deuce. That is the SW20 body and it had the 2.2 5SFE engine. I had a hardtop too. It was a really fun car. Major head-turner. I have no idea what it was capable of in regards to fuel economy because I drove it way too hard. Handled like absolute SHITE in the snow, and not too much better in the rain. Real easy for the rear to come around front if it broke loose on wet roads. Front didn't like to turn in the snow, would just keep going straight. Other than that, car was a dream. Great clutch, wonderful feel in the "cockpit." Absolutely ZERO cargo space. PITA to work on the engine, too (unless you remove the trunk lid and stand in the trunk.

If I were ever to get another one I would definitely get a 93+ model (for the bigger brakes/wheels and better taillights), 5sp, and preferably a turbo with the 3sgte and better tranny and LSD.
ghettomobile
Advanced Member

Post by ghettomobile »

Typrus wrote:Heres the notes I took while speaking to the owner

Lowish miles
Dumping too much gas
Hesitant low down
Plenty of power
Plugged injector?
Faulty sensor?
1988-89?
Rides on rails
T-Top Bags included

Input?

Sounds like it could be the Throttle Position Sensor
Starfire

Post by Starfire »

I would suggest that it probably needs to have it's injectors cleaned and or replaced. They don't like sitting too much. A new fuel filter would probably help.

I own 1 and a half AW11s and I agree that they are great fun cars and quite reliable but parts are hard to find and expensive at times. You havnt said what year it is but try and get one that is 86+ (facelifted) they have a side vent with 5 horizontal slats and a more aggressive chin spoiler. More importantly they have revised suspension and breaks that makes them safer and better handling.

Make sure you check for rust around the rear wheel arches, boot floor, and door jams. Also check for poorly repaired accident damage as they are quite easy to crash. Check for even wear on the tyres - this can point at a bad wheel alignment or a bent chassis.

If it's a targa top the roof will probably leak. Use this as a barganing point when buying it. The suspension bushes are probably really worn by now. http://www.twosrus.com sells a set reasonably cheaply that will make a big difference to the car. They are fairly easy to install yourself (you will need a torque wrench and some cotter pins).

The worst thing about the AW11 is that once you buy one you will be bitten for life. There is nothing on the road that comes close to the joy of driving one. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :P

Cheers,
Terry
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

MR2.

as for telling if its a lemon, go with your gut.
kamiphloj
Top Notch Member

MR-2 VS Terc

Post by kamiphloj »

Sounds like it is the burro Vs the racehorse.

I did a similar refurbish on my terc,Due to a blizzard you may remember I hurt my clutch.Had to change it..Cooling fan went and routine brake job,shocks,springs for the 70,000 I have put on it since I put it together.
I just change the oil and stick the key in it.It is incredibly reliable.I'm not afraid of 5000 rpm and routinely shift past 4000. Little motors like to breath..I have gotten away fom slamming and banging activities.I'm a little more into making it last.I'm over 50 and I can relate.
I know every nut and bolt on the terc.I can put enough tools to fix most things in my hip pocket.
I leverage labor on large jobs to upgrade systems,but on easy to change peripheral items,I run them out.
A good,paidfor sound vehicle can afford a monthly upgrade budget.
Paid for,liability only,cheep plates' no car payment.
Buy newer vehicle,Comp/collision ins,plates,car payment and just as much maintnance.Do what you want.I want my burro terc.Wouldn't trade it for 2 MR2,s.I learned from the old 67Chevelle SS396 I'm better off with 1587cc's.I haven't had a ticket in many years.But you do what is right for you.kamiphloj.PS,The old Vovlo and Tercs paid for my house.When the time comes,I m,ight go 4-runner
Like my old Volvo 544 with 4wd.I seldom regret neversieze or threadlocker
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Re: MR-2 VS Terc

Post by takza »

kamiphloj wrote:I have gotten away fom slamming and banging activities.I'm a little more into making it last.
That's what makes parts go bad...SEE..."when good parts go bad" at your local theater?

If you like performance...it's the g forces...slam...bang that make you think you are doing kooool stuff.

I like it...cause I like a good handling fast car.

But it's more like testing to destruction?

Instead of drive it like you stole it...maybe it's drive it like you gotta fix it? 8)

Slam-bang the brakes and maybe the suspension...and you might get away with it...but slam-bang the drivetrain and you are asking for it.

As far as used cars...in my experience...if you buy them at around 100K miles...when most people think they are shot...they still have maybe 50-70K in them before a lot of stufff starts to wear out....and...IF...they are a generally reliable car like a Toyota.

If you are talking the a high mileage T4WD (around 200K)...you are probably talking about replacing a series of parts. I paid around $1200 for mine...and have put at least $1200 in parts in it over 40K miles.

If you consider the T4WD at 33 mpg mixed vs something that gets 20 mpg...over 40K and at $2/gallon for gas...the T4WD saves $1575 in gas...paying for the parts at least.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...