I was thinking.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

I was thinking.

Post by terceldude »

Hello guys,
When I get another Tercel 4wd, the European model (I will convert it to an automatic transmission), I'm going to swap a JDM engine in it. I will swap in a Toyota 4A-ELU engine that produces 100HP in the bay and mate it to the A55F transmission. That will be cool. Tell what you guys think. I will start on that engine as a swap, then I'll see how it goes. If a modified version isn't enough for me, I may just make a 7A-C engine or 7A-GE engine. Tell me what you guys think of this and tell Sakhalin that I want to see more pictures and videos of his and any other Sprinter Carib AL25G's on Sakhalin island. Thank you.
K-Business
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Why not just chop out the front, extend it waaay out, and drop in a Supra Six ABC89ZX2-E?
Or, for more grunt, how about a Lexus V8 ('course, you'd need some stronger springs, too)?
Why not just glue a Tercel body to a Land Crusher chassis?
Do you favor Mac or Craftsman or Snap-On tools? Or perhaps FACOM?
Tom M.
Last edited by ARCHINSTL on Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
shogun
Highest Ranking Member

Post by shogun »

how about a v6 from the tacoma with the gearbox and rear end, its a 230 hp tercel, with monster torque
tercel 4wd custom suspension, under drive pulley, vented brakes, cold air intake, and plenty more to come
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

FOOD FOR THOUGHT TDUDE

If they can do this with an eagle - imagine what you can do with a Tercel, oxywelder, a doner hummer and some gaffer tape

good luck!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Give the guy a break? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Huh?

Post by terceldude »

Give what guy a break? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
K-Business
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

heh...
Why an automatic td?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Well...

Post by terceldude »

heh...
Why an automatic td?
This is because I never learned on a manual, I only know automatic and I'm a master at it. I might be able to have automatic gearing for the automatic transmission the same as the manual transmission for these cars. I also love the easiness of one and I passed my driver's road test on June 9th, got my license in the mail on June 17th. Now the only problem is that I need a Tercel 4wd to be registered to and I need insurance. Other than that, I can legally drive now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Takza, give what guy a break?

Mattel, no thank you, but thank you for the picture and stuff. I like looking at it. I'll do my own Tercel lift and engine swap, etc.

ARCHINSTL and shogun, also, no thanks, but thank you for the ideas. I will do my own thing.

Shogun, I'm going to take the rear suspension off a rear disc brake Corolla FX16 GTS and put that on my Tercel and add lift, etc. I'll use a universal turbocharger and universal intercooler, etc. I will pimp this Tercel w/ a lot of aftermarket parts. What do you think, since you pimped your Tercel for racing?
K-Business
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Be certain to keep us advised of your progress...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Well...

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

terceldude wrote:
heh...
Why an automatic td?
This is because I never learned on a manual, I only know automatic and I'm a master at it. I might be able to have automatic gearing for the automatic transmission the same as the manual transmission for these cars. I also love the easiness of one and I passed my driver's road test on June 9th, got my license in the mail on June 17th. Now the only problem is that I need a Tercel 4wd to be registered to and I need insurance. Other than that, I can legally drive now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Takza, give what guy a break?

Mattel, no thank you, but thank you for the picture and stuff. I like looking at it. I'll do my own Tercel lift and engine swap, etc.

ARCHINSTL and shogun, also, no thanks, but thank you for the ideas. I will do my own thing.

Shogun, I'm going to take the rear suspension off a rear disc brake Corolla FX16 GTS and put that on my Tercel and add lift, etc. I'll use a universal turbocharger and universal intercooler, etc. I will pimp this Tercel w/ a lot of aftermarket parts. What do you think, since you pimped your Tercel for racing?
terceldude: talking is good, but the work you are talking about takes exceptional experience, skill and a fair chunk of $$. Why don't you begin doing some of the things you are talking about, and show us some pictures; then we may participate more in helping you out and offering suggestions. I don't think you've ever even posted any pictures of your stock Tercel (the one you are/were selling??). Do you have a drivers license? Have you ever changed your oil or air filter? Do you own tools? A lift, a welder, a torch? I wish you the best with your work, and hope to see some progress with all your ideas.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

SWERD!

Post by terceldude »

terceldude: talking is good, but the work you are talking about takes exceptional experience, skill and a fair chunk of $$. Why don't you begin doing some of the things you are talking about, and show us some pictures; then we may participate more in helping you out and offering suggestions. I don't think you've ever even posted any pictures of your stock Tercel (the one you are/were selling??). Do you have a drivers license? Have you ever changed your oil or air filter? Do you own tools? A lift, a welder, a torch? I wish you the best with your work, and hope to see some progress with all your ideas.
I have a drivers license!!!!!! I have changed my air filter. I have some tools of my own, that were originally my grandpa's and dad's tools. I inherited them. No lift, no welder, no torch. I will try to post some pictures soon. Thank you GTSSportCoupe and all the rest of you for your input. I appreciate it. But I want to stick to my own ideas. Thank you anyway.
K-Business
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

You remind me of me from when I was 14... No offense intended, as you have a lot of optimism, but I honestly think you are shooting too high for the experience you have.
The stock auto tranny from these cars is not going to get you through maybe 80ft/lb of torque. Those things are weaker than the manuals. I VERY VERY much suggest you learn a manual, get a manual, and live with that.
I know you are very centered in on your own ideas man, but please realize that we DO have experience where you might not. That doesn't mean you are any more inferior to me than I am to, say, 3A-C or takza, it just means you have room to grow.

My absolute best advice is to listen to any suggestions you are given, consider them, and maybe adapt your plans around them.

I cam into this club with the idea that I wanted a fast Tercel, a lifted Tercel, and an economy Tercel. I didn't really know much about how to achieve any of, in specific.
I have personally grown a significant amount in my knowledge of the Tercel, and cars in general, since I have joined here. The reason is that I listened. Now I know how to make the Terc fast, I know how to give it a lift, and I know many ways to improve its economy.

Good luck man, and please keep dreaming! Dreams are the plans for invention.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Re: SWERD!

Post by ARCHINSTL »

terceldude wrote:
I have some tools of my own, that were originally my grandpa's and dad's tools.
If mature tools, have you checked to confirm whether they are metric or SAE? To accomplish your stated goals, you may have to buy a few...as well as sign up for some Shop classes in your HS.

Incidentally, does your definition of "SWERD" from deep urban Wellesley correspond to "weird" or to "way cool?" There seem to be two camps concerning its etymology...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Typrus, that did offend me a little, but its ok. I meant that I will have someone else give me the engine swap and lift. Swerd means is a word made up to describe something way totally cool! A mixture of sweet and word (understood)

Ex: that guy is cool.
Swerd

Actually, Typrus, I have listened to other posts, etc. You know. Well nice pictures of yours!!
K-Business
Rasmus
Top Notch Member

Post by Rasmus »

I like how you are the master of driving an automatic. :roll:
I love my tercel :)