I miss my Tercel...

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
MR2Di4
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD Wagon

I miss my Tercel...

Post by MR2Di4 »

I don't have a 4WD Tercel anymore... :(

But I do have fond memories of the one that carried me through many adventures and served me many years. It broke my heart to crush it last year, but hopefully I can relive the good times and maybe look at getting another one someday...

Glad to be here!

MR2Di4 8)
'85 4WD SR5 S/W (Winter Daily Driver)
'88 Toy Truck (Summer Daily Driver)
'86 4WD AT S/W (First T4WD, long gone...)
'88 MR2 N/A (Namesake College Car, also long gone...)
'70 AMX (Family Heirloom, will never be gone...)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome !
While you no longer have the car, perhaps you would be willing to share some stories about maintenance problems you encountered (and conquered)? Or perhaps post photos of adventures?
Was yours done in by rust from the ocean air?
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MR2Di4
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by MR2Di4 »

Was yours done in by rust from the ocean air?
Yeah, that and all the river crossings with water above the door sills, or the couple of impacts into guardrails and logs, or maybe the crunched rear hatch that leaked for a year before we found a new one.

Bottom line is that everything rusts very quickly around here. I just wish it would have held up for another few years, but my wife hated it and the extent of the rust was making it unsafe to drive.
'85 4WD SR5 S/W (Winter Daily Driver)
'88 Toy Truck (Summer Daily Driver)
'86 4WD AT S/W (First T4WD, long gone...)
'88 MR2 N/A (Namesake College Car, also long gone...)
'70 AMX (Family Heirloom, will never be gone...)
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

wish it would have held up for another few years, but my wife hated it and the extent of the rust was making it unsafe to drive.[/quote]

"but my wife hated it"
We have three tercels two for commuting 50 miles per day
and one as back up. We get some snow here especially near our house. since 1988 only one stranding when clutch cable broke. I get 'em cheap and fix 'em myself so we have saved a bunch of money over those years that was spent on more important things.
But "my wife hates em" and so do my two daughters.

"Women who can figure them out?"
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

if you can get one with power steering and sunroof (for that not quite SAAB convertible feeling) you will have a much better chance of keeping then. Heck let them have a secondhand european car one winter and then they'll realise how much relability counts.

I actually broke a clutch cable to recently, while replacing it I found that it was completely diferent set up to the FSM and ended up having to take the pedal totally off to get the new cable on cos it was so tight. might be to do with the dif. routing due to the RHD Aussie cars

anyway fixed now.. thanks T4wd.com for empowering me with the spanner. (I still think girls like someone who can fix things a bit?) maybe I'm cruelly misguided.

good luck!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

heh...
One of my good femme friends thinks my car is the damned coolest car on the road, her 69 Beetle aside. I find that quite humorous.
My mom wants her red 87 back. Fuel economy and the ability to safely go where no car dares equal a beast.
My oldest sister wants the 84 back now that it runs. Fuel economy and the ability to stuff 3 dog kennels for her dog shows in the back is a plus.

Then theres my younger sisters... Neither of them want anything to do with the Terc's. They'd rather have Bimmers or VW's. Damn spoiled priss's...

OF course then there's my buddies who mock my Terc... Until they saw me pull that Wrangler out of the ditch. They thought my burning clutch was burning tires lol.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew