Looking for a luggage cover..I think thats what its called

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
tooldudetool

Looking for a luggage cover..I think thats what its called

Post by tooldudetool »

I'm looking for the retractable cover that fits in the back of the wagon between the two rear speakers. I think it's called a luggage cover. I need one in either blue or tan. Please let me know if you have one you would like to sell. Thanks!
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I call it the cargo-cover.
I think everyone wants one, and few seem to have them. Dunno if Toyota still supplies them.
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Have had my '87 wagon since early 1993 (was for years our main family vehicle when the kids were young and still great while they were in elementary school, but too small for longish trips now that they are both in high school and are big kids - too cramped in the back for comfort on long trips, so they say).

For us, the cargo cover came out in the first few months, along with the two side support plastic pieces , never to go back in again, and was eventually thrown out, although I did hang onto it for years until a massive garage cleaning effort recently.

The reason (it was taken out)? The cargo area is useless except for smallish loads, like trips to the grocery store, with the cover and side pieces in place, so out it goes. We used to load the wagon for camping trips every year, and max space was needed. Also have used it as our main mini-truck over the years - throw a tarp in and haul gravel, sand, rock, garbage, you name it.

In a word, the cargo cover and supports looks really neat, but is totally impractical.
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

Unless you are hiding $500+ in audio equipment under it?

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
waynehoc
Top Notch Member

Post by waynehoc »

Good point, Typrus, but... an old guy like me is more partial to the practical uses for my wagon. Listening to the odd CD or the radio is fine; well, actually, I never did get into music all that much - that was my sisters main interest (until she discovered boys, that is!).
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

I am a audio-freak.. I can't stand the Terc's stock speaker sizes, and I have Infinity Kappa's in the rear and Pioneers in the front! Not enough bass, midrange is soggy, and the highs are too cloudy. If I ever get the time I'mm be throwing either 5.25's or 6.5's in the front and then 6.5's or 6x9's in the back. If I do, I'll knock the sub number down to one.
As much as I love the boom, my main love of the sub is how effectively it rounds the sound off.

Another cool thing about the cover is that it keeps certain items cool when it is a hot sunny day. Say, groceries, crayons, candles, or maybe the fireworks you are smuggling across the border?

jetswim
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by jetswim »

How much are the cargo covers worth $$? There might be one at the junkyard but I don't want to be overcharged!
Current rides: 1987 SR5 4WD wagon, 1989 xtra cab pickup 22RE 5spd 4X4