I'm Back!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

I'm Back!

Post by SirNik83 »

Well I'm Back. The Tercel is not with me... she needs a new throwout bearing... But I was thinking about her, and I ended up at Wikipedia. they had a horrable page about the history of the Tercel. so I fixed it!

check it out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Tercel
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I see you gave the T4WD some much deserved credit! :lol:

Might do a little spell checking here and there...seems like a good bit of info...
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Hey that's great! I see you even put a link to tercel4wd at the bottom! :D
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

XLNT - Good Work !
Thanks for your effort. This is the best history I have seen.
Great for the link to us as well; it should help membership, particularly once sedan owners realize the parts commonality - a 3AC is a 3AC, after all.
So long as they don't strip a wagon for a sedan, that is...
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Excellent!
I would digress, however, regarding the 4x4 option--I was under the assumption that it was designed to be used in unusual road conditions, and not as much off-road, since it has no differential. I use it on the road, in the blowing and drifting snow we have here so often, once in a while commuting entirely in 4x4. And off road, too, or at least on snowy, unplowed, secondary roads.
Today I got 7" of snow in couple of hours, the drive down the canyon was in 4x4 all the way!
The EL gear really pulls the car out of the steep driveway onto the road, too!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

hberdan wrote:Excellent!
I would digress, however, regarding the 4x4 option--I was under the assumption that it was designed to be used in unusual road conditions, and not as much off-road, since it has no differential.
The lack of a center differential is an advantage offroad....a disadvantage on dry pavement.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

hberdan
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Sold my 1987 Tercel Dlx 4x4 Wagon but miss driving it everyday. I don't miss working on it, though.

Post by hberdan »

Perhaps I didn't phrase the statement properly; I was under the impression that the 4x4 feature of the Tercel was designed for "unusual" road conditions; snow, rain, mud, on the road, and was not intended to make it into a dedicated off-road/off-highway vehicle (ORV, OHV). Hmmm, it seems like my owner's manual says something like that, and it does emphasize that the 4x4 feature was not to be used on dry pavement.
But WHO would drive it in 4x4 on DRY, paved, roads?
I'll have to pull out the manual again and read it, I guess.
brianp
Top Notch Member

Post by brianp »

hberdan wrote:Perhaps I didn't phrase the statement properly; I was under the impression that the 4x4 feature of the Tercel was designed for "unusual" road conditions; snow, rain, mud, on the road, and was not intended to make it into a dedicated off-road/off-highway vehicle (ORV, OHV). Hmmm, it seems like my owner's manual says something like that, and it does emphasize that the 4x4 feature was not to be used on dry pavement.
But WHO would drive it in 4x4 on DRY, paved, roads?
I'll have to pull out the manual again and read it, I guess.
Yeah, I don't think toyota was trying to make a mini land cruiser in the tercel 4wd :D, the 4wd was meant for bad weather conditions, but that doesn't stop it from being good off road! :)
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

I find the owner's manual confusing. The Tercel has the "extra low" gear, part-time 4WD and a factory tilt meter. And they say it's not meant for off-road use. :lol:
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

They mean it's not a heavy duty offroad vehicle...as opposed to the older Landcruiser...ladder frame...ground clearance...etc.

Because of it's light weight...if you can find some ground clearance. a little more power, and bigger tires...it would be hard to stop. It's maneuverable...I managed to turm mine round back in the woods in a 13 foot wide area...wasn't easy.

ctishman
Advanced Member

Post by ctishman »

Yeah, if there's one thing I really love about my Terc it's the turn radius. I can do an O turn without finding an intersection.
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

Given the choice of off-roading in my parents' 5500 lb 1983 diesel 4WD GMC pickup or Hornbeam, I'd choose HB every time. The Tercel is so much more maneuverable, plus it's light enough to not sink into the ground as soon as it leaves the pavement. I've taken the truck into the woods only once, I almost had to leave it there after trying to turn it around. I had it jammed between a tree and a stump after attempting a 42-point turn. :lol:
brianp
Top Notch Member

Post by brianp »

I like to think of the tercel as a big ATV with a heated cabin. :D
SirNik83
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD, Custom Paint Job, MR2 Wheels, Pistol Grip Shifter

Post by SirNik83 »

SO i just checked the tercel page and they changed the main pic. its a bad lookign late model tercel... i was thinking i'd like to put a picture of the Tercel symbol as ther main pic. does anyone know what i'm talking about? i had a keychain a few years back with it on it, looks like a hawlk coming from the T in Tercel. a very 80s looking graphic. if anyone has a pic of that i'll put it up on wikipedia.
My first car was a Tercel, and I'm still driving a Tercel, some people say I need an Intervention.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

brianp wrote:I like to think of the tercel as a big ATV with a heated cabin. :D
I used to make raids on some of the local abandoned railroad grades and trails...usually used by ATVs...the T4WD fits pretty well. Got to the end of one and they had the gravel piled up so only ATVs could get over it...the Tercel went over without a scrape.