High-Rev Warm-up

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ctishman
Advanced Member

High-Rev Warm-up

Post by ctishman »

When I turn on my Terc, it has lately developed the habit of, once started, creeping up to around 3300 RPM and hanging there howling and revving as it tries to kick itself down to a lower idle. is there a way to fix the threshold so it can warm up without waking everyone in a ten-block radius?
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Mine does that too, but I think it's supposed to. It's like the fast idle setting. You can get it back to the normal idle by just tapping on the gas.
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

3K is a little high...there should be a fast idle screw.

With mine if you hang around for 15 seconds or so it will warm up enough that you can tap the throttle and it will set at a lower speed.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

JOE
Advanced Member

Post by JOE »

Mine does the same thing. In fact if i turn the key on and tap the accellerator three times (when its below -10) it will start and stay at around 1800 RPM until I tap the gas. Quite handy for those really cold mornings when you want to warm up fast. Doesn't work though if I plug my block heater in.
1985 4wd 493000kms. Semi-retired since 1990 Corolla SR5 4wd purchase. 174000kms.
Mac
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Mac »

thats just the fast idle to help it warm up quicker/not stall. 3000 seems a bit high, mabey try lowering your cold idle speed (there is a screw yo ajust it on the pass side of the carb, pretty long.)

its explained in your owners manual, for canadian cars put your foot to the floor once before starting to engage cold idle, for US cars its 2 or 3 times you have to do it. to disengage it, hit the gas when the engine is idling and it will drop down.