Carb Rebuild Parts

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Carb Rebuild Parts

Post by coltarms »

So there I was minding my own business rebuilding my carb in my garage.....a thermos of hot coffee beside me and Bruce Springsteen on the Radio, when all of a sudden I broke off the 2 bolts that hold the bufferfly valves on the shaft on the carb base. Anyone know where to find replacements? I'm headed to Napa at lunch, but I figured I'd ask here too....

All in all, carb rebuild is annoying and would be a lot easier if one took pictures of the beast before one dismantled it. I'm fairly certain that I have it back together correctly, but we'll see.

Dave
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Carb Rebuild Parts

Post by xirdneh »

coltarms wrote:So there I was minding my own business rebuilding my carb in my garage.....a thermos of hot coffee beside me and Bruce Springsteen on the Radio, when all of a sudden I broke off the 2 bolts that hold the bufferfly valves on the shaft on the carb base. Anyone know where to find replacements? I'm headed to Napa at lunch, but I figured I'd ask here too....

All in all, carb rebuild is annoying and would be a lot easier if one took pictures of the beast before one dismantled it. I'm fairly certain that I have it back together correctly, but we'll see.

Dave
if you are talking about the two small screws that go through the butterfly into the shaft they are purposely buggered up on the far side so they will not vibrate out and drop into the engine. thats probably why they broke

you will probably have to drill them out and retap

i do not remove them when rebuilding carb.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

I filed off the peened end of the screws but they were just stuck. Being Brass, it didn't take much to snap 'em. I was able to drill them out successfully and re-tap the holes. I'm going to use stainless screws as replacements as no one around had any brass ones. Should be fine.

By the way, there's something really good about working in the garage while listening to The Boss sing "Born in the USA." It's even better when I'm working on the Jeep.....and not the Japanese Tercel......
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="coltarms"]I filed off the peened end of the screws but they were just stuck. Being Brass, it didn't take much to snap 'em. I was able to drill them out successfully and re-tap the holes. I'm going to use stainless screws as replacements as no one around had any brass ones. Should be fine.

better use loc-tite
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

xirdneh wrote:better use loc-tite
Yep...there is a reason they were brass and staked on the ends. Make sure it is the kind that can handle gasoline and heat also.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

coltarms
Top Notch Member

Post by coltarms »

Fear not. I have a nice big jar of Loctite277 and some lock washers. Then, I'm going to deform the ends of the threads just to make sure. I'll have rebuilt this damn carb about 12 times by the time I get it back into the Tercel. Seems like I keep on forgetting stuff......

Should I soak the gaskets themselves in a light oil before assy?