Valve Job and Accompanying Ramble

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Valve Job and Accompanying Ramble

Post by Typrus »

SGIVQY#$TIBQ#UCFFIC#T%YQ(#HT#ICTQ$RDIXEFKRAEHGF :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sigh..... Did my valves today... Think it cooled off too much by the rear 4 though.... Because there is a violent ticking that was not there before the job. And its coming primarily from cyl 4, according to my improv flat-blade stethoscope (lol).

It is a tap/tick. Quite loud indeed... I thought it might be carbon on the valve seat making a tap sound, but after 7 cold/hot Seafoam cycles (my first try at pouring straight liquid into the barrel) and getting a call from a concerned neighbor thinking my car was on fire, to no improvement, even at operating temp, I am tempted to think I put in too much clearance and the valve is smacking the seat. I dunno if that is realistic, but it is what I am blaming at this point. If I should be targeting something else, PLEASE tell me. I have yet to do a follow-up compression reading.
That reminds me.... While I was turning the crank with my socket on the forward pulley, I had left the sparker in, and I heard VERY prominant sounds of compression leaking coming up through the oil galleries in the area. I'm hoping this is normal while the engine is turning the equivalent of 5 RPM's, but if not, I'd like to know now.

I should lso bring up another point. Just how effective is the wet-compression test on our engines? We have dish-style pistons. Just look at my 3A-C Guts post. Would not all the oil pool up in the center? And if it were enough to flow over, would it not hydro-lock? And then what about the burning off of the oil? It just sits there! Would it not create a huge carbon-mass? Is there a more effective way to do the wet-test? Can a 2-cylce oil be temporarily run through? I'd get worried about the jets, float bowl, etc.... How could you properly mist an oil to get good coating, whether through the barrels or the plug holes?

Where should I be going with this?
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Maybe you should just use the right gaps for setting them cold? Too loose you get noise...too tight you can burn a valve.

I did mine hot...but it was a hurry up job.

You only add maybe a tablespoon of oil thru the plug holes in each cylinder...should run down the side of the cylinder and spread around on the rings.

You could hydrolock it if you just dump it in the carb.

The leak you heard was probably thru the valves?
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Valve Job and Accompanying Ramble

Post by xirdneh »

[quote="Typrus"]SGIVQY#$TIBQ#UCFFIC#T%YQ(#HT#ICTQ$RDIXEFKRAEHGF :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sigh..... Did my valves today... Think it cooled off too much by the rear 4 though.... Because there is a violent ticking that was not there before the job. And its coming primarily from cyl 4, according to my improv flat-blade stethoscope (lol).

for me adjusting the valves (cold engine spec. gaps) on a cold engine has always resulted in a tapping engine. after driving them around for a day or two and re adjusting while engine is hot (hot engine spec. gaps) the tapping goes away.
better too loose than too tight. especially on the exhaust valves
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Chris
Top Notch Member

Post by Chris »

The cam lobe for the fuel pump is by #4 cylinder. I have heard that tapping when the fuel pump lever was hanging up.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I have a noisy fuel pump...sounds like a loose valve....at least that's what I think it is. Been doing this for the last 20-30K...at least. This noise is the reason I did the valve adjsutment...valves were off only a little...maybe 4 out of 8.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Typrus
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Typrus »

The fuel pump is 20k old and it wasn't making this sound before.
I still need to get in there...
RIP 10-07- 1984 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

RIP 04-05- 1986 Toyota Tercel SR5 4wd Wagen 6 speed

1st Terc- 1987 Tercel SR5 4wd Wagon 6-speed, Sadly cubed

1985 Tercel Standard 4wd Wagon w/ 3-speed auto, Living a happy life in Boulder last I knew
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Well...adjusting the valves shouldn't affect the fuel pump...I'd say go thru them again...but only mess with the one's that are out of spec...go...no go?