New member and more importantly car in Australia

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
CrownDeluxe
My tercel:: 1984 SR5

New member and more importantly car in Australia

Post by CrownDeluxe »

Hello all,

Here are photos of my recently purchased 1984 Tercel SR5 4x4 wagon. This is my second Toyota, my first was a 65 Crown Deluxe. Anyhoo, I was searching for a light 4x4 to take offroad. Being a believer in lighter rather bigger 4x4's I looked at all the usuals, Suzuki Sierra etc.

Browsing my local Marketplace I found this Tercel. I looked at all the specs and thought it sounded good on paper ( if you exclude all of the reports about the slowness of the car, its poor carburetor or its tendency to do valve seals etc.)

I went and checked it out and purchased it on the spot. It doesn't blow any smoke and the motor seems really nice. I'm just going through fixing the items that it needed to pass Roadworthy.

Here is a very short video of the drive home from purchasing https://youtu.be/gkntqYWAJLY?si=bHQ4S9b6-xpCZe-t

I had to fix:

Rear pass brake cylinder
Water temp sensor
Centre Driveshaft bearing
Rear water nozzle blocked -free
Heater control ? This is still a problem - I have made a seperate post in the technical section on this.
Front swaybar mount rubbers

So far I have found all of the parts that I need locally at Repco etc and at ridiculously low prices. I paid $10 for wheel cylinders, and $80 for the driveshaft bearing. There seems to be a truckload of these old parts sitting around on shelves here.

I have also found that there are local eBay sellers advertising ventilated, tercel disks. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40422652412 ... BMxpyiv75j This will be done asap.

I am also planning on a lift kit. After that I will be hitting the trails!
Last edited by CrownDeluxe on Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: New member and more importantly car in Australia

Post by dlb »

Welcome to the forum, CrownDeluxe! I hope you get around to posting pics of your car, the Aussie models always seemed to have more cool options than the North American models did.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: New member and more importantly car in Australia

Post by NWMO »

Welcome CD,

While the pic shows vented rotors, they indicate “solid” in the literature. If you want vented rotors, you can step up to the MR2 rotor/caliper swap.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain