Rolled car back and forth while engine out. Reverse and 5th not working

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
parkeroffgrid
My tercel:: 82-85 with a Weber

Rolled car back and forth while engine out. Reverse and 5th not working

Post by parkeroffgrid »

I reacently rebuild the engine of my Tercedes. The engine fired right up and ran great however I could not shift into Reverse or 5th. This was strange as I did not mess with the transmission. I did however roll the car back and forth about 15' in my shop. I thought it was in nuetrel but possibly not. When rolling there was an audible sound of something destressed in the drivetrain but unclear what.

I watched Roberts videos on the transmission and did some digging. I tried to manually tap the shaft with a flathead from the 17mm plug in the back. That did not work. I have been reading more now about the Reverse restrict pin. I still do not see how that could have been damaged but that is where I will go next.

One other thing. When the engine is running it sounds great except a faint audible sound about every 5 seconds that sounds like a rub. Maybe related?

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Rolled car back and forth while engine out. Reverse and 5th not working

Post by xirdneh »

You can remove the reverse pin and see if the slot the pin fits into is centered on the hole
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Rolled car back and forth while engine out. Reverse and 5th not working

Post by Petros »

I have moved a lot of Tercel4wd around without the engine in them, and never had a problem. if it was in 4wd, and in gear, it might transmit some binding when you are turning it, but that usually does not cause any thing to get out of place. As I recall there is a "plug" on the side of the trans that is actually a pivot for the shift linkage, sometimes people pull that thinking it is a fill plug, and it allows the linkage to fall out of place. Perhaps that is the issue, Xirdneh is more familiar with this problem than me, he might be able to give you some advise on checking that.

if getting the revers lever back into place does not fix it, you might pull out the shift lever, and remove the linkage compartment cover and get a look from the top (it can be done from inside the car without removing the transmission). if the sliders shafts, that carry the shift forks, got out of place it may cause that kind of issue.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)