Which mechanical fuel pump

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Which mechanical fuel pump

Post by Phatcat »

1884 T4WD 1.5L 3-AC
Factory carburetor

I’m wanting to buy another mechanical fuel pump for a backup on long excursions off the grid. Now, the previous owner I bought the car from just installed a new fuel pump from O’Reillys M23079 rated at 5 psi and 18 GPH, a few months before I bought the car. I have the receipt and detailed folder of service and maintenance from the previous owner. However, from O’Reillys I find that the correct part for the above mentioned year make and model to be M16157 rated at 3 PSI and 8 GPH. Previous owner claims that the car is an extremely rare 1.6L 3-A from the factory. Huh? However, all of the badging, literature etc say that the car is indeed the 1.5L as usual. We’ve debated this fact for months.. His claim is that when he went to replace the two fuel pumps over the 20 plus years he owned the car, that when installing the normal 3-A Tercel pumps, the car would not run. Installing the 1984 Corolla fuel pump (M23079, which I also find mixed results on whether that pump is correct for even the 84 Corolla 4-A), that the car would run on that Corolla pump. Im not an expert on what interchanges between the 3 and 4-A, yet. We will get there.. slowly. I guess the question here is, what mechanical fuel pumps are we running in the 3-A motors? What are the specs and part numbers?? I searched the service manual and didn’t find the fuel pump specifics for my car. Do the 3-A and 4-A pumps interchange? Conflicting information from my PO though, but I don’t think he’s correct on this super rare 1.6L 3-A bs. I just need some solid information on what pumps people are using and like, and any discovered knowledge. Thanks

JJ
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Which mechanical fuel pump

Post by NWMO »

JJ,

I’m not an authority, but to my knowledge, in North America, all Tercels got the 1.5L 3A engine from the factory. The 1.6L was sold in other cars here in NA, but not the Tercel. I have a junkyard 4A from an 85’ Chevrolet Nova in my Tercel. The engine blocks are identical, but the pans, brackets, etc. have to be swapped. If his car isn’t an import of some type, I’d assume he is incorrect.

Looking at Rock Auto, I believe the only difference is inlet/outlet configuration and the pumps listed for the Tercel are what you would want.

The main reason the inlet lines are different is I believe the 4A was mounted transverse (sideways) in its’ applications, versus our longitudinal 3A.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain