working on Terc2

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

working on Terc2

Post by NWMO »

Hey friends,

The transmission failed on the Rusty Frog a few weeks back. While it may have been a little quicker to swap the new transmission in, I decided to get my second Tercel roadworthy. At any rate, I got the front end “back together” with new bushings all around and rebuilt struts. I still need to tighten everything and get the brakes back on, hopefully tomorrow :)

If it works out, this will get me working the kinks out of the trusty toad and give me more time to make a few mods while I’m replacing the failed transmission on the Rusty Frog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Paul
Advanced Member

Re: working on Terc2

Post by Paul »

That front end should feel much better after all that work. I recently put the Superpro swaybar end bushings on, but went with the stock chassis mount bushings since poly was not in stock at suspension.com. I did the ball joints too, but haven't got to the struts yet. What is the control arm hardware mod for?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Paul wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:41 am What is the control arm hardware mod for?
The bolts for the control arms thread into a captive nut that cannot be accessed without some serious messing around. Occasionally, due to corrosion between the bolt and nut, the welds on the captive nuts can break when trying to remove the bolt and now you've got a whole new headache. I think Chris' mod allows him to get a wrench on the nut more easily (I assume he has already had problems with those nuts on this car).
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Paul and David,

Thanks for the comments. As David suspected, I’ve had the “captive” nut spin in the past (on other Tercels) and want to avoid this in the future on this car. It’s been a while, but these bolts did come out, though I believe one of the captive nuts had more play/movement than I wanted.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

Thanks for that info... I might need to save that pic
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Your welcome Paul,

Here is a picture from the bottom after installed.

I’ll replace the plug before daily driving.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Chris, I can't remember -- is the access hole in your pic stock, and normally covered with a plug? I think I recall members here removing the plug to spray rust penetrant on the nut but am not sure, it's been a long time since I've seen those posts.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Yes, this is a factory access with a plug, but it’s small enough to make access a challenge with tools.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Great process. I noticed already on facebook site that you managed to get this car back to road.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Nordical,

Slowly but surely,

I’m working out a final few kinks and will be ready to daily it. I was pleased to find the heater working ok after cleaning up the HVAC fan.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Very nice! You are just on time with that heater considering that snow in one picture of yours.