87 4wd terc engine, gas tank and other parts available

Trying to sell your Not-A-Tercel or looking for parts, post here, you never know!
Adkterc
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel DLX 4wd 6spd stock

87 4wd terc engine, gas tank and other parts available

Post by Adkterc »

Have a 3A engine(orig that I removed with 195k and running fine), gas tank and many parts (not the tranny tho) available. See pics for items. Would like to sell as a lot for $450 and buyer pays shipping from northern NY I removed these working parts because I converted her to electric earlier this year. Your forum is much appreciated.
Adkterc
Ps..Sorry the pics are upside down.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: 87 4wd terc engine, gas tank and other parts available

Post by BaileySims »

Adkterc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:09 pm I removed these working parts because I converted her to electric earlier this year...
Umm... Can I see? :shock:
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Adkterc wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:09 pm Have a 3A engine(orig that I removed with 195k and running fine), gas tank and many parts (not the tranny tho) available. See pics for items. Would like to sell as a lot for $450 and buyer pays shipping from northern NY I removed these working parts because I converted her to electric earlier this year. Your forum is much appreciated.
Adkterc
Ps..Sorry the pics are upside down.
Do you mean you converted a 4wd Tercel to electric, or that you sold your Tercel and bought an electric car? If you converted the car to electric, please fill us in on the details.

Your pics are right side up when they are clicked on. The site is just weird with the thumbnails sometimes, for some reason.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I would love to see and hear about your electric swap. Is it just Rear wheel drive now?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Adkterc

Post by Adkterc »

Are you in the region? I’m in the Adirondack mtns.
And yes I converted her, with help. It was a job and I don’t really recommend it but she is my driver and works well with 140 mi range in the summer.
Adkterc

Post by Adkterc »

Oh, and yes it is still 4wd.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Adkterc,

We would love as much info as you care to share on your swap. I’m sure many of us here have talked about it, but this is the first I’ve heard where somebody got it done. Pics, details, whatever you have to share please.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Adkterc

Post by Adkterc »

Happy to tell you what I did and send pics. The nice folks at Green Shed Conversions helped a lot, esp with the wiring but the big stuff was done in my garage. I’m out of state for Tday but will send some batt box shots and under the engine shots when I get home. Happy trails d
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks a bunch, sounds great!! I’m curious about low end torque and how it does off-roading?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Adkterc

Post by Adkterc »

You asked for info on the electric conversion of Little Red so here it is. After years of planning I removed the motor, gas tank and all parts that are shown in earlier post. Then designed and installed an adapter plate to marry the Hyper 9 AC electric motor to the trans bell housing with shaft connector. Then I built two battery boxes to hold 10 Tesla battery modules weighing 560lbs which caused switching out the rear coils to 1994 Pathfinders and Monro air shocks (thanks to the Forum). Some of this work, the wiring, and other electric components were done in Florida to get me off my unheated garage floor with the help of the fine folks at Green Shed Conversions. We had a big problem getting the clutch to work with the hyper 9 so it eventually ended up with clutchless shifting….driving in 3rd, 4th and 5th, mostly, altho all gears and 4wd work. I drove her home via the autotrain and level II public chargers. It was quite an adventure. As for low end torque…she is my daily driver but doesn’t leave pavement and scoots up our mtns nicely. This project was a lot of figuring,head scratching, trial/erroring and metal fabricating….and $$. Glad I did it but now I baby my tranny, look for spare trans parts and fight off our northern rust. Happy trails dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CE1371
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd SR5 Wagon

Post by CE1371 »

I'll take it if still available. PM was sent.
Adkterc

Post by Adkterc »

Yes it is. Interested in any other parts? Dave
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks for the pics, I understand you don’t take it off road, but how do you think it would do? How is the low end torque?

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Adkterc

Post by Adkterc »

Chris,
I think the electric motor and stock tranny work ok together,including 4wd. I haven’t put it in crawl mode in 6th but I expect it would be ok One tranny mechanic told me to be careful of the rotational mass of the Hyper Nine AC motor and its effects on the synchros and other gears. He said if the mass is too high it could prematurely wear them out. I am looking into this now. One other mistake I made which also prevents her going off-road is that I used sched 40 PVC conduit for the electric cables going from the batteries to the motor. This pathway reduced my ground clearance by a couple inches in the front. Someday I will tuck those welding cable sized lines in the tranny tunnel. Hope this answers your ?. D
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thank you very much, interesting build.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain