Hard to start cold engine

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Danthebiker
My tercel:: 1985 4wd auto

Hard to start cold engine

Post by Danthebiker »

Hello,

I have a 1985 tercel 4wd wagon automatic. It has been a fun car and an interesting project. I am not much of a mechanic but have learned alot from this car. I am having problems starting the car when the engine is cold. It usually takes a few tries and once I finally get it it idles really high until I tap on the gas. I usually have to let it idle high for a while to get the engine warm enough or it will die. Once the engine is warm, the car runs smooth and starts easily. Any advise on how to diagnose this problem?
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Re: Hard to start cold engine

Post by Jarf »

Try stepping on the gas pedal twice before engaging the starter, that should solve the "hard" starting.

All the other "symptoms" you describe are perfectly normal, that is how carburetors work.
Paul
Advanced Member

Post by Paul »

Have you checked the choke position when it is cold? Here's an old post that might help:
viewtopic.php?p=25885#p25885
The fast idle screw might need adjustment during the cold start warmup. Check page MA-10 of the FSM.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I agree with Jarf, most of what you describe is normal for carbs. You have to step on the gas at least once to set the choke when it's cold, and once it's warmed up you shouldn't have to do that to start it. There is a section in the owner's manual that covers this stuff.

The only thing that stands out to me is that it shouldn't die if you don't let it idle high for a while. Run rough maybe but not die. How long do you have to let it idle high for so that it doesn't die? Agreed with Paul re checking the choke valve and checking the fast idle setting. I would also check the AAP diaphragm, they are pretty common for rupturing and causing a variety of issues. The AAP was bad on my current car when I first got it and it ran fine most of the time but idled terribly while warming up. It's funny all the different ways a bad AAP can manifest. Anyway just do a search on the forum here for AAP to learn more about it, it's easy to access and replace.
Danthebiker
My tercel:: 1985 4wd auto

Post by Danthebiker »

dlb wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:45 am I agree with Jarf, most of what you describe is normal for carbs. You have to step on the gas at least once to set the choke when it's cold, and once it's warmed up you shouldn't have to do that to start it. There is a section in the owner's manual that covers this stuff.

The only thing that stands out to me is that it shouldn't die if you don't let it idle high for a while. Run rough maybe but not die. How long do you have to let it idle high for so that it doesn't die? Agreed with Paul re checking the choke valve and checking the fast idle setting. I would also check the AAP diaphragm, they are pretty common for rupturing and causing a variety of issues. The AAP was bad on my current car when I first got it and it ran fine most of the time but idled terribly while warming up. It's funny all the different ways a bad AAP can manifest. Anyway just do a search on the forum here for AAP to learn more about it, it's easy to access and replace.
Hi thank you for your response. I have to let it high idle for maybe 2 or 3 minutes before it stays running. I have checked to AAP and it is functioning the way it should.