Lift kit???

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Mpack
My tercel:: 88 Tercel 4wd

Lift kit???

Post by Mpack »

Hello everybody,
Has anyone used a nylon cutting board atop the front struts for a lift? If so for how long and how is it holding up?
Thanks
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Lift kit???

Post by dlb »

Simon84 did, way back when. I think that was in his orange "pumpkin" tercel, which he eventually retired due to rust, but believe the old cutting board lift held up the whole time with no problems.
Esaus
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Tercel 1.5 Europe

Post by Esaus »

What is a "cutting board" lift? Have you acutally cut off pieces of a plastic cutting board to lift the car? do you place it atop the struts? What about the rear?
1986 Tercel 4WD, Red, 170000km, restored.
1987 Toyota Corolla Dlx hatchback, 250000km
1988 Toyota Corolla touring 4wd, estate yet to be restored
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Yes, you basically just cut up a nylon cutting board to make spacers that go between the top of the strut mount and the body of the car. You have to replace the bolts in the strut mount with longer ones. I only ever heard of people doing this on the front struts, I don't think it's possible to use the same approach on the rear axle.
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by Phatcat »

I’ve seen many people modify hockey pucks to do body lifts and spacers for numerous applications with success. Body lifts, diff drops, spacer, all of it. And trust me, as a younger man I tried every approach to assaulting the integrity of Hockey pucks, they’re tough customers. They can be cut and drilled, but they are up the the challenge of thousands of pounds and many many years of abuse.
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by Phatcat »

I’ve also been wondering about an alternative to suspension. I want to install the MA700’s in the rear, but not sure I want to lift the front at all. So the question is whether or not a guy can run the air shocks in the rear without any front lift. Is the tolerance of the rear air shocks able to let the car sit very close to stock? It’d be nice to have the option for heavy loads. I may ultimately put in a front spacer, but if I do, it won’t be more than 0.5-1.25”, or so.
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

How does a lift with a cutting board spacer affect the longevity of driveshafts and such? I have replaced both in the front and would like to keep them for a while =)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Esaus wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:13 pm How does a lift with a cutting board spacer affect the longevity of driveshafts and such? I have replaced both in the front and would like to keep them for a while =)
It depends on the height of the lift and the condition of the axles. Some members here have done lifts without also spacing the engine cross member and transmission mounts and had no problems, while others who have done the same have had problems with wearing out axles quickly. To me, it makes sense to also space the engine cross member and transmission mounts down the same amount as the lift in order to keep the angle of the axles as close to stock as possible.
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

Yes I thought about it and came to the same conclusion to spacer out the members. You could do the same with the propellershaft middle bearing.

Are there longer bolts available? Or can you use the stock ones ?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Esaus,

I’ve got 1.5”-2” lift in the front with really no issues. The ball joints and half-shafts get a little more work, but It’s not been a problem. 80k miles on the presumed original passenger half-shaft and 60k miles on the replaced driver’s side half shaft.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

NWMO wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:47 am Esaus,

I’ve got 1.5”-2” lift in the front with really no issues. The ball joints and half-shafts get a little more work, but It’s not been a problem. 80k miles on the presumed original passenger half-shaft and 60k miles on the replaced driver’s side half shaft.

Chris
Did you stack cutting boards or have you used another means of lifting the car? I saw someone used stronger springs and air shocks in the rear to lift the car 2".
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

You can use Monroe MA700s on the rear as an air shock. I kept the original springs on as it is firm enough as the Monroes take some of the weight. The beauty of them is that they are air adjustable to take more weight and add height when you need it and let them down when on the road to normal height. About 4" of adjustability
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Esaus,

I used 1st gen Nissan Pathfinder springs in the rear and the Moog 81043 on stock front struts. It rides more like a truck which doesn’t bother me, but might some.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

Mattel wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:35 pm You can use Monroe MA700s on the rear as an air shock. I kept the original springs on as it is firm enough as the Monroes take some of the weight. The beauty of them is that they are air adjustable to take more weight and add height when you need it and let them down when on the road to normal height. About 4" of adjustability
That might come in handy. Noticed when i loaded the car with rocks for my driveway. Even with 250 - 300 kg the car rode very low hehe
Esaus
Advanced Member

Post by Esaus »

NWMO wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:51 am Esaus,

I used 1st gen Nissan Pathfinder springs in the rear and the Moog 81043 on stock front struts. It rides more like a truck which doesn’t bother me, but might some.

Chris
Ill look into what im going to do at a later date. I have a few projects that need doing. Getting a lifted car right now isnt a priority =) Might be closer to summer however.