Rear lift?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mpack
My tercel:: 88 Tercel 4wd

Rear lift?

Post by Mpack »

Hello all,
I recently rescued an 88' 4wd that had been sitting in a field for 3 years. Got it for free in the classified adds! I think I want to put a small lift on her. Was thinking 1" spacer on front. 14/185/75 tires. I have two questions. 1.) Did I understand rav4 shocks in the rear will lift it? And is that with the existing tercel springs?
2.) What shocks would ya'll recommend to replace the worn out ones in the front?
Thanks so much for your help and guidance.
Marty
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Rear lift?

Post by Mattel »

Hi Marty,
Another idea for the back is to keep the old saggy springs in the back and get some Monroe MA700 air shocks. These work well with adding a little lift to your car with the benefit you can load them up for up to 4" lift when off road and take them down so its not too fidgety on the road.
Can't help with the front i'm sorry.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mpack
My tercel:: 88 Tercel 4wd

Post by Mpack »

Have read about that. Sounds very nice. I already ordered the rav4 shocks and am just wondering if it is a direct swap or of I need to change the springs also?
Thanks
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Good to change the springs if they haven't been done before. pathfinder springs are popular if you can find some.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Mpack,

I’m pretty certain I’ve got 1st gen Pathfinder springs on the rear (85’-94’).

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

The shocks might provide a little bit of "lift" if your old shocks are worn out. They'll likely just adjust it to a relatively normal height.

If you're not satisfied with the amount of height with those shocks, you can buy spring spacers and use those to spread the springs out. I have them as an additional helper for my Pathfinder rear springs and they gave me another inch or so with plenty more room for adjustments.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

Ma700’s are a great option. The adjustability is great when you want to take heavy loads or drive rough roads. Make sure to protect those airlines so they don’t get caught by road debris or fetched up when moving things on the interior. I used a little irrigation tubing on the exposed portion of the wheel wells and ran the lines to the valve under the trunk carpeting. Best option for shocks on that solid rear axle if your doing a lot of washboard dirt road driving. Last 10x times longer than standard hydraulic/ gas filled shocks.
Keep it Stock; Live Long.