3A Motors for sale

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
MR2Tercel
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel SR5

3A Motors for sale

Post by MR2Tercel »

It was hard trying to find the right place to post this, (im brand new here), I am in the process of swapping my runnin motor with 220k on it for a 4A. I have this 3A and the spare 3A I got with the car. Not sure what these motors are worth, but I’d like to sell.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 3A Motors for sale

Post by dlb »

It depends on the condition of the engines. If they are in good shape, I've seen people offer them for $200-300 US on the tercel facebook group. Not much, but more than a scrap metal dealer will give you.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I assume you are going to pull the oil pan, timing cover, etc. off one of them for the 4A? I just purchased a functional transmission for $250, used engine would be similar if running well, less if needing an immediate rebuild.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MR2Tercel

Post by MR2Tercel »

Yes, pulling the pan off the one being swapped, runs great, carb seems to be a little inconsistent. I’m good with any reasonable offer. $250 ea sounds good, OBO for sure
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

I recommend that you do the swap first and sell motors then. You may need everything from bolts to exhaust manifolds for swap depending if your 4A is from FWD layoyt or not. FWD 4A has not neither correct exhaust manifold.

But I hope that you finish that 4A swap soon! Stroke is also same in 4A & 3A so crankshaft should be pretty same also.

One day I would like to try overbore 81mm 3A block. That should be doable too with a luck.
MR2Tercel

Post by MR2Tercel »

Thanks for the input, we are definitely keeping it around while doing the swap. It looks like it will be done this week. Relocating the AC pump and lines is going to be a neat trick.

Bore one of these.
If you bore both, I’ll let you keep one 😆
rocksy

Post by rocksy »

Where are you located?