1995 Tercel stalls at idle - 338,000 miles

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
slord
My tercel:: 95 Toyota Tercel DX

1995 Tercel stalls at idle - 338,000 miles

Post by slord »

I'm new and I think I posted this in the wrong area, in Off Topic, so I will try again here!

Hello - I understand this site deals with 80s model Tercels and I just learned that 80's have carburetors vs mine with Fuel Injection, but I'm just hoping for a miracle. Taking to my third shop tomorrow. When warm it stalls, or threatens to stall, at stop lights. When I start it back up in struggles to connect...but then finally does. First mechanic didn't know, dealership said engine is a goner due to bad piston rings, but there's no blue smoke or misfires. Was advised to get another opinion which I will do tomorrow. If anyone has any wise words, would love to hear. Thank you! - Sharon
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: 1995 Tercel stalls at idle - 338,000 miles

Post by Nordical25 »

Fuel injection is similar but different. You won't get far with bad coil either with carburetor or with fuel injector car.

I think you need first to make sure that you will have a fully functioning ignition system. Then you can measure compression, check fuel system etc.

This issue can be anything before you check details more precisely. It could be air in fuel system, bad fuel filter, worn out fuel pump, bad ignition etc.

Can you read datastream in your car? Back in the day I read via datastream basic parameters for fuel injection. You can find pretty quick why it is stalling. That is why a mechanic is a good option if you can't connect your car in a tester.
slord

Post by slord »

Hi Nordical25, thanks so much for your reply. I'm fully dependent on mechanics, though I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I appreciate all you shared.

I think I was set adrift when my regular mechanic just didn't seem to want to try. He had my car for days and didn't even check the codes. Then the dealership service just hurried me out the door and told me my engine was doomed.

I have taken to a third mechanic. They did report back that there was a throttle sensor error, so they are going to replace that. If that doesn't work, then I will share your notes with them

I'll report back with the findings. It will probably take a few days.

Thanks again!
Sharon
slord

Post by slord »

Sending an update...

First visit: There was no check engine light, but he found a TPS error when reading OBD2 codes. Throttle position sensor replaced, but after I picked up and drove a while, the check engine light came on and stalling was still a problem

Also replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and wire

Second visit: Took it back, malfunctioning TPS was causing the check engine light. Found it was defective, so they ordered and put a different one in. It doesn't go all the way down to 0, but it goes down to 4, which is better than the 16 it was doing before. He also attempted to clean the Idle Control Valve but, it ICA did not work after that, so he ordered a new one. I just picked the car up today, and its running much better. Time will tell, fingers crossed all that good stuff.

Something interesting to me was that my 95 car produces OBD2 codes... so much easier. I know that 96 was the switchover, so I'm glad my car made the early cut.

Thanks for letting me join the group.
Sharon
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hopefully all stays good for a while. With that many miles, something may pop up.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

do not ever go back to that dealership again, they are either grossly incompetent, or just crooks. none of those symptoms are related to bad rings. what idiots.

The idle air control valve should have given a code, this was a common problem on the early OBD cars. My wife's Mazda gave that code, I tried to clean it carb cleaner, and it got worse. it gets gummed up with sticky fuel residue over time, the spray cleaner loosened it up and made it even more sticky, so I took it out and cleaned it a lot better, it worked after that. likely your could have cleaned better too, but it is usually easier for a mechanic to put in a new one so it will not come back again if it is worn out.

The TPS will also wear out, usually that is an easy test and replacement. If your car is an auto trans, it will cause it to shift funny because the auto trans uses the TPS signal to shift (if you are pressing down hard on the throttle to pass, or go up a big hill, it iwlll delay the sifting to higher gear). we had a one ton Ford that was shifting badly, all the idiots said it needed a rebuilt 3500 transmission (we only paid $3000 for it), but a clue was the fuel economy also fell off, running very rich. I had a client who was a professional mechanic and had a portable analyzer, he check it out for me at my office. found the TPS signal, while still there was way off (sign that it is wearing out). I replaced it in under 30 min, it was a $35 part, fixed both the bad shifting and the poor economy. the shop wanted to charge me $190 to just analyze it. but a bad TPS signal will not put out an error code, it was within normal range, it was just off. So only a knowledgeable mechanic would know what to look for (and I learned that lesson too). Later I joined a Ford forum, and discovered that the heavy Fords were notorious for having bad TPS, if you know they symptoms you just buy one from Autozone or NAPA install it, without any fancy scanners or test equipment.

BTW, there might be a better forum for your car, Toyota Nation perhaps. there are others too, considering how popular toyotas are. your model has almost nothing in common with the types covered by this forum. But most of us also work on newer cars as well with fuel injection and electronic controls, and we are just trying to be helpful.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)