1995 Tercel stalls at idle - 338,000 miles

Post here about...well...anything!
slord
My tercel:: 95 Toyota Tercel DX

1995 Tercel stalls at idle - 338,000 miles

Post by slord »

Hello - I understand this site deals with 80s model Tercels and I just learned that 80's have carburetors vs mine with Fuel Injection, but I'm just hoping for a miracle. Taking to my third shop tomorrow. When warm it stalls, or threatens to stall, at stop lights. When I start it back up in struggles to connect...but then finally does. First mechanic didn't know, dealership said engine is a goner due to bad piston rings, but there's no blue smoke or misfires. Was advised to get another opinion which I will do tomorrow. If anyone has any wise words, would love to hear. Thank you! - Sharon
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 1995 Tercel stalls at idle - 338,000 miles

Post by dlb »

Hi Sharon. Unfortunately you're right that this forum is specifically for old carb'd Tercels so we won't be able to pinpoint anything or be very precise with your problem. But we can certainly give some general thoughts.

It could be a lot of different things so you would need to do some tests first to rule some things in and out. Marginal electrical components tend to act up once warm so it could be a sensor, something in the distributor, spark plugs or their wires, oxygen sensor, etc. Is the 'check engine' light on? If so, you can look online for how to get the code from the car, and a list of what the codes mean.

Besides that, if you aren't able to do the work yourself I would advise you to do a google search for mechanics in your area and look for ones that have lots of 5 star ratings. Too many shops, ESPECIALLY dealerships, are flat out criminals. Find a good mechanic and hang on for dear life!
slord

Post by slord »

dlb - Thank you so much for your reply. I had read your threads on stalling on idle, and was so encouraged until I learned the carb vs fuel injection factor! Thanks for your advice on steps. I did have a 5 star mechanic, but I think he was too busy to really delve into it. So hopefully tomorrow I will have better luck. Hopefully I can come back with good news and a solution! I know I can make it to 400,000!!!
slord

Post by slord »

Sending an update...

First visit: There was no check engine light, but he found a TPS error when reading OBD2 codes. Throttle position sensor replaced, but after I picked up and drove a while, the check engine light came on and stalling was still a problem

Also replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs and wire

Second visit: Took it back, malfunctioning TPS was causing the check engine light. Found it was defective, so they ordered and put a different one in. It doesn't go all the way down to 0, but it goes down to 4, which is better than the 16 it was doing before. He also attempted to clean the Idle Control Valve but, it ICA did not work after that, so he ordered a new one. I just picked the car up today, and its running much better. Time will tell, fingers crossed all that good stuff.

Something interesting to me was that my 95 car produces OBD2 codes... so much easier. I know that 96 was the switchover, so I'm glad my car made the early cut.

Thanks for letting me join the group.
Sharon