INstalling A/C on 1984 Tercel

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
booksandbones
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel Wagon - Stock

INstalling A/C on 1984 Tercel

Post by booksandbones »

I am being gifted a 1984 Tercel, 4WD with manual transmission. The vehicle comes with no A/C. I am in southern California so it is nearly mandatory for it to have A/C if I am to survive the summer. I recently saw a 1988 Tercel hatchback in the wrecking yard and wondered if an A/C unit from that car would fit. Would it need modifications to go on my '84? Are there any later model Toyota that could be altered to fit and work. Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thank you.

Regards,
Christopher
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: INstalling A/C on 1984 Tercel

Post by Mattel »

Hi Christopher. I believe that a 1988 Tercel is FWD so probably would not be similar. Best if you could find a Tercel hatch, 2wd Wagon or 4wd wagon of the same 2nd generation as our cars (FWD came out between 83-86 - 4wd wagon continued until 1988) A similar rwd Toyota like a Corolla of the same years might work as well.
You could ask on the Tercel 4wd facebook page if anyone is wrecking a car and they might have the complete setup to sell. There are a few small parts as well like the engine idle changes when AC is on etc. Good luck
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
booksandbones

Post by booksandbones »

Many thanks for your reply. Due to the scarcity of the earlier models, it will be fun tracking down one of these systems. However, the universe always seems to provide so I'm sure that something will eventually appear. I will keep you posted as the project unfolds. Hope you are well and thank you again for your information.
Warm regards,
Christopher
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Try car-part.com
booksandbones

Post by booksandbones »

Thank you. This is a great source that I did not know about. They seem to have everything.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Yeah I have had good luck with it too. When I can't find something new or used locally, I can usually find it at a wrecker on car-part.com and get them to ship it to me. I most recently did it last year when I needed a distributor.
booksandbones

Post by booksandbones »

There is a wrecker up in Santa Paula that has some Tercels so I will contact them and see if they have any A/C units. It is about a 2.5 hour drive, but it would be worth it if they have what I need. Thank you again.