3-A Heater valves

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

3-A Heater valves

Post by Phatcat »

Starting some work on my new to me 84 4wd 1.5L 3-AC. I’m having a hard time locating new heater valves. I suspect Toyota Parts Deal or the like may carry them in old stock, but I wanted to ask if anyone here has the skinny on where to find these old discontinued heater valves. Or what we like to make work instead? Maybe a 4-A or Corolla heater valve is close enough? Anything is feasible with the right hose bends, but I figured I’d ask the people in the know… Thanks

JJ in WA
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: 3-A Heater valves

Post by NWMO »

JJ,

The heater valves sometimes get “stuck” or hard to open/close with the cable, but seldom fail. Often times, the cable itself may need lubricated as well. I believe the “valve” is simply a rubber stopper restricting flow. If you do need one, many of us have parts cars and can get one for you.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Phatcat
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD

Post by Phatcat »

Yeah, the valve is working and intact, and the line definitely needs lubed, but I always like to replace crap that could go wrong. I can say that those older brass valves last nearly forever compared to the newer style plastic ones Toyota used. I’ve had the plastics fail from corrosion and heat cycling, but never a brass, and the brass can be soldered if a crack or hole emerges.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Phatcat wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:41 pm Yeah, the valve is working and intact, and the line definitely needs lubed,
I've found that the difficulty in moving the temp knob back and forth is usually due to the valve in the engine bay needing lots of lube and to be worked back and forth. I disconnect the cable from the valve spray the thing down with whatever penetrant I have on hand, and work it back and forth for a while. The last one took probably 10-15 minutes of this but after that the temp knob worked super smoothly.