Hello from N. Arizona! 80' sedan dlx fwd

Post about yourself, your Tercel, or your Tercel projects in here, share pictures of your Tercel, or post trip threads!
RipRiley
My tercel:: 1980 sedan dlx

Hello from N. Arizona! 80' sedan dlx fwd

Post by RipRiley »

Howdy folks,

Here in northern az, seasons been cold, snow today in fact, but finally wrapping up on mom's 80 tercel sedan dlx (fwd :? ) 1AC with the auto trans - Its been in the family for at least 20 years but has sat garaged the last 5. About 10 years ago it was repainted, interior done up, and had the long block rebuilt. Otherwise, mechanically, it was rough. Ive been through and repaired, painted, and replaced just about all the suspension, steering, braking (slotted and drilled rotors :lol: ), cooling, engine accessories, small wire tuck, custom coolant/washer reservoir, and plenty more I am sure to be forgetting. Found bronco radius arm bushings fit the front lower control arms, on the rearward facing supports. Also ended up using 4th tercel rear shocks with a t-bar adapter.

It does have a genuine weber on a polished intake and valve cover which is cool. For now the carb was rebuilt and supplemented with an aem wideband - plan is to holley autolite 1100 swap it later, they seem hard to find as i've had my order cancelled by 3 large vendors now due to lack of stock.

On the lookout for interior door handles. They appear to be un-obtanium.

One of the sway bar mount bolts, the weld in nut inside the inaccessible cross member, is gone. I could rivnut it, or just replace with an awd crossmember...

Hope to pickup some knowledge and maybe parts on this little gold nugget. Will update with a parts list later probably, I just got my 21st rockauto package in, and have ordered from numerous other vendors on this journey.

--Rip
2015-04-15 (1).jpg
2015-04-15.jpg
PXL_20220729_230147335.jpg
PXL_20221024_201543196.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Hello from N. Arizona! 80' sedan dlx fwd

Post by NWMO »

Beautiful work!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Wowee, that's nice. There are a few 1st gen Tercel enthusiasts here. SirFoxx is currently working on a turbo 4age swap into one, here is the thread on that:

viewtopic.php?t=15920
RipRiley

Post by RipRiley »

NWMO wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:10 pm Beautiful work!

Chris
Thanks! I imagine it to be a fun car once its running tip top.
dlb wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:56 pm Wowee, that's nice. There are a few 1st gen Tercel enthusiasts here. SirFoxx is currently working on a turbo 4age swap into one, here is the thread on that:

viewtopic.php?t=15920
That thing is sick! small turbo would be way cool, also found the one with the Centerfiugal blower as well. Would probably boost prior to an engine swap, especially with this one just being rebuilt, and the work I put into the exterior of the engine. ALL the weird water pump assembly was leaking/RTV, and I managed to source either oem or sufficient gaskets/o-rings, for example.

Today I found via the General FAQ, all the vac lines off the weber were wrong. I probably should have checked, as when I rebuilt it, found the secondary was not opening, and the progressive port was probably just dumping fuel all the time. In fact vac systems were merged. Also progress on aluminum reservoir tanks, need to run to town for barb'd fittings, and new pcv.
Mogordo
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 Wagon

Post by Mogordo »

Hi, Fun to hear about the car and the restoration you are doing (:
Are you looking for new or used interior door handles? There are some new listed as available here with a few color options:https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem-198 ... andle.html
And four from an '82 (probably all four from one car) listed in ID on car-part.com
(https://www.car-part.com/mobile/index.htm).
One who walks in shoes always clean likely walks nowhere at all.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

It is good that we start to see more also Tercel gen 1 projects here.
RipRiley

Post by RipRiley »

The last week or two, out of order:

PXL_20230404_185214316.jpg
Getting things together, it barely fits width wise on the tilta lift. Its so narrow it wants to fall in between.

PXL_20230415_203020543.jpg
A weldnut internal to the rear subframe broke off for the rear sway bar mount. I used a rivnut same bolt size to fix.

PXL_20230415_003110738.jpg
Front driver side suspension corner.

PXL_20230409_034145138.jpg
Tanks rough fit, before cap finishing.

PXL_20230413_204742650.jpg
Cap of windshield washer fluid laser etched and color filled. Not pictured is the cap for the coolant overflow

PXL_20230411_234148681.jpg
Company who makes AFR, required me to cut the new/faulty o2 before getting a "one time" replacement, as the company claims to not offer replacement sensors even if new/dead for free under any warranty, must purchase.

PXL_20230412_005812974.jpg
Underside of the air-con/heat climate control module thing. The 4x cables attach here on this end. The blend-door was filthy, and 3x of the cables needed some good cleaning.

PXL_20230413_201507870.jpg
Front caliper banjo bolts were alarmingly short, so ordered some aluminum hex from mcmaster and got these turned and laser etched.

PXL_20230417_041049021.jpg
I found this plug under the steering column that went no where. It contained a ground AND ignition 12v, both got de-pinned and just a shrinky-spade connector setup to the afr gauge.

PXL_20230416_021020925.jpg
Electrical and vac lines cleaned up. The guide here on the forum viewtopic.php?t=7442helped immensely. It is the early Tercel 1AC engine, however vatozone had the PCV and gasket for an 83 corolla, which seems to be same same. Toyota originally used a nice curved vacuum line off the PCV, but they were limited use and seem unobtainable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

how did you set preload on the front wheel bearings?
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
RipRiley

Post by RipRiley »

SirFoxx wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:37 am how did you set preload on the front wheel bearings?
Aww yeah so, those things of course are like most toyota non sealed bearings, and fun to put together. I have an og print of the haynes manual that mentioned its similar to setting the preload on a rear-end, check preload and adjust the spacer as required which of course requires a SST to properly "squeeze" it all, to an unspecified torque or setting of course. I sourced some quality timken bearings, and think, I got lucky as it seems nice and firm like a wheel bearing should. I did not Donkey Kong the main wheel nut though and went off of "experience". I thought I felt good about it, but now you asking has me slightly worried. Whats up?
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

RipRiley wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:12 pm
SirFoxx wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:37 am how did you set preload on the front wheel bearings?
Aww yeah so, those things of course are like most toyota non sealed bearings, and fun to put together. I have an og print of the haynes manual that mentioned its similar to setting the preload on a rear-end, check preload and adjust the spacer as required which of course requires a SST to properly "squeeze" it all, to an unspecified torque or setting of course. I sourced some quality timken bearings, and think, I got lucky as it seems nice and firm like a wheel bearing should. I did not Donkey Kong the main wheel nut though and went off of "experience". I thought I felt good about it, but now you asking has me slightly worried. Whats up?
i and others have replaced our wheel bearings without "following the procedure" and the bearings usually last about a year before they get loose. The manual i have talks about using a press and a spring scale to set the preload, but ive never attempted it. I have a buddy at a machine shop that could easily make the shims (my manual lists all the shim sizes that toyota offered), its just a matter of when they have the time to do it.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
RipRiley

Post by RipRiley »

SirFoxx wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:50 am
i and others have replaced our wheel bearings without "following the procedure" and the bearings usually last about a year before they get loose. The manual i have talks about using a press and a spring scale to set the preload, but ive never attempted it. I have a buddy at a machine shop that could easily make the shims (my manual lists all the shim sizes that toyota offered), its just a matter of when they have the time to do it.

Which fsm do you recommend? I've seen two different colored covers.

Do you by chance know what the fsm calls for preload? What about spacers? I have access to a CNC lathe.

Attached are some broken door handles and the afr gauge floating around the glove box.