Radiator needed

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Connee1979
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel wagon sr5

Radiator needed

Post by Connee1979 »

Anyone out there? Have a decent radiator for sale? My goodness parts for these things are hard to find.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Radiator needed

Post by NWMO »

Connee,

Try O’Reilly AP for the radiator. If you lean on this site and the similar (but unrelated) FB page, most everything is available. I do like to keep a parts car handy for the low maintenance parts that can’t be picked up easily.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Connee1979

Post by Connee1979 »

NWMO wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:29 am Connee,

Try O’Reilly AP for the radiator. If you lean on this site and the similar (but unrelated) FB page, most everything is available. I do like to keep a parts car handy for the low maintenance parts that can’t be picked up easily.

Chris
Just got that ordered up. Thanks! I thought I had looked everywhere and they all seemed to be discontinued. I really appreciate the response!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Glad to help! Please let us know, but it wouldn’t surprise me if iit still has Spectra stickers on it.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Connee1979

Post by Connee1979 »

NWMO wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:19 pm Glad to help! Please let us know, but it wouldn’t surprise me if iit still has Spectra stickers on it.

Chris
It ended up being a full aluminum setup, nice looking radiator, and twice as thick as my stock one. Just installed it, will be testing it out tomorrow. I’m hoping it fixes my temperature fluctuation issue. I have compression tested @175 each cylinder, did a radiator combustion gas test and passed, changed the thermostat, coolant and hoses. Water pump isn’t leaking and seems to be moving coolant through the system. I’m hoping this radiator fixes the problem as I am running out of ideas….
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

And your fan is turning off/on as it should?

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Connee1979

Post by Connee1979 »

NWMO wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:31 pm And your fan is turning off/on as it should?

Chris
The new radiator is working good, my temp gauge still kinda goes from 1/4 up to 1/2 up depending on highway and hill climbing. Is that normal for these cars? And yes fan works and kicks on when the needle is in the middle. It was getting up to 5/8 maybe a little higher with the oem radiator. I think it may had been the original and had seen better days for sure!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Connee1979 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:40 pm The new radiator is working good, my temp gauge still kinda goes from 1/4 up to 1/2 up depending on highway and hill climbing. Is that normal for these cars? And yes fan works and kicks on when the needle is in the middle. It was getting up to 5/8 maybe a little higher with the oem radiator. I think it may had been the original and had seen better days for sure!
What you're describing sounds normal to me.

That said, you could also use a flush tool on the engine block, because over time scale and deposits build up in there too and inhibit the block's ability to shed heat into the coolant. Whenever I have used a flush tool on my rad, I always give the block and heater core a flush too while I'm at it because on 40 yr old cars it's a given there will be some buildup of crud in there.