Timing not advancing

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

Re: Timing not advancing

Post by Familyguy78 »

Ok, the gas filter on the intake manifold, should I be able to suck air freely from both its ports? One port seems plugged. I'm going to switch its hoses, see if this gets vacuum to the distributor. I'm running out of ideas.
Familyguy78
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Sr5, Fed emission but no cat converter. Manual transmission, with air conditioning.

Post by Familyguy78 »

Ok, so this is going to sound stupid but I switched the vacuum hoses on the Gas Filter on the intake manifold after finding I could suck air through one of them but not the other. The blocked one went to the distributor. I also blocked the High Altitude Compensator port to the distributor. Now the timing is advancing to 13 degrees at idle with the engine warmed up. I have no idea how to test the Gas Filter, the FSM had very little concerning that part. It's probably time to replace the exhaust valves, because I have no idea how long this has been going on. Thank you dlb!!! I've been trying to save and fix this wagon to teach my kids to drive manual with, and it's finally looking like a viable car!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Familyguy78 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:07 pm I've capped the leaks and am not getting vacuum to any of the hoses going to the distributor.
If you confirmed you have one hose running from the manifold to the distributor, I'm not sure how you can't be getting vacuum at the distributor. As long as the engine is idling, there is high manifold vacuum. I would double check the routing of that hose.
Familyguy78
Advanced Member

Post by Familyguy78 »

It turned out to be a plugged port in the part labeled Gas Filter in the FSM. This plugged port was going to the distributor