84 rod bearings

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: 84 rod bearings

Post by xirdneh »

Seems like if the bearings are not STD they would be marked with something like maybe how much they are oversized.
If used bearings look good and are within tolerance (per plastigage) why not re-use them.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
mtmtntop
My tercel:: 85 4wd wagon, 83 4wd wagon

Post by mtmtntop »

update info. it's finally barely warm enough to work on this outside, but over the winter I replaced the rod bearings. Number 3 was indeed the damaged bearing caused by a family member running it low on oil. I searched many parts listings on the web to find one that labelled the bearings as "stnd". I put those in , plastigauaged it and it showed within specs. I just briefly started the motor today and no knocking. I'll finish this up maybe this weekend when its supposed to be warm and go for a test drive.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good work! We look forward to hearing about a successful test drive!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

mtmtntop wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:15 pm Number 3 was indeed the damaged bearing caused by a family member running it low on oil.
Will said family member allowed to touch the car again or are they permanently banned now? :D
mtmtntop

Post by mtmtntop »

update. after warming it up and running it, its smoking pretty bad. but the knock is gone. i'm afraid its the end of the line for this motor. i don't want to do any machine shop work. so, long story short, knock was cured without turning the crank by installing new rod bearings that are marked "stnd".
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

What's the compression on the cylinders? If that's fine and it just needs new valve stem seals, that's a pretty easy job to do.
mtmtntop

Post by mtmtntop »

ill have to check the compression. i have done valve seals on these motors before, i just can't remember which car i worked on! I do keep a log, but over time, the motors have been mixed and matched and I've lost track of which was which. one thing i can say is the motor started up as soon as you turned the key. it was even quicker than the efi cars i have in the driveway.