Brake and Charge light on

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
blurst

Brake and Charge light on

Post by blurst »

Hello tercel4wd.com community.

I've got an 87' tercel wagon that I have been having some electrical issues with.

I had the brake and charge lights showing intermittently for about a month or two and then eventually the car wouldnt start and I attributed it to the alternator being dead. I changed the alternator out with a used alternator off of another 87 and changed the battery for a new one. This solved my problem for the last six months. Lately the lights have come back on and I am worried about my car dying on me if i run it too much just off the battery.

I am a little stumped why with a new alternator that I believe has the internal regulator this same issue would re occur.

Other strange electrical issue is that my middle speed on my windshield wiper no longer works.

Could they be related?

Thanks everybody and happy driving.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Brake and Charge light on

Post by dlb »

I don't think there's a relation between the windshield wiper issue and your battery/alternator issue.

If you have a volt meter, check the battery while the car is off. It should be over 12.5 V. Then start the car, let it idle, and check the voltage again. It should now be close to 14 V. If it's not up around 14 at idle, your used alternator is shot.
boranederek
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Wagon (Standard)

Re: Brake and Charge light on

Post by boranederek »

Also check the charge fuse! And could be bad wiring also had the same problem so if you need help just reply and we can get into touch.