clutch, clutch cable, and adjuster questions

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

clutch, clutch cable, and adjuster questions

Post by dlb »

There's something up with the clutch system in the 83 I recently bought but I have no experience with the tercel's clutch system so here I am.

The clutch slips. I've barely driven the car, just down a short road and back, onto a trailer and off it into my garage, but I noticed that going downhill it seemed fine and I was like, "great." Then when I turned around to come back I noticed the clutch was slipping like crazy and the car could barely make it up the tiny slope.

The automatic adjuster is within spec according to the FSM: the FSM says there should be at least 6 notches remaining on the "release sector" (what a weird name, I think something got lost in translation there) and that seems fine. When I depress the pedal, it moves about an inch (which is within spec) and then the pawl engages the release sector, at which point there are still 9 notches remaining on the release sector

I also removed the clutch cable and measured it. It was 39", which is actually a tad shorter than the new ones on rock auto that are 39.25".

So my question is, if the clutch is slipping which indicates it's worn out, and the cable is within spec, shouldn't the adjuster be max'd out? Like I said, I've never played with one that I know to be functioning normally so I don't have anything to compare mine to but it looks like it is working properly.

Thanks gang.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: clutch, clutch cable, and adjuster questions

Post by NWMO »

A contaminated clutch disc or worn pressure plate could create your issue with the clutch disc within thickness specs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Oh right. Good point. It doesn't seem to leak much oil (if any, no drips at all underneath) so I'm leaning more toward the pressure plate. Dang. I didn't want to have to drop the trans but I guess that's in my future.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I am betting clutch disc is worn
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

xirdneh wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:40 am I am betting clutch disc is worn
If the clutch disc is worn, shouldn't the adjuster be max'd out?

Either way, I will be getting in there and replacing the dang thing.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have seen the pressure plate assembly on the cheaper imported clutches go weak and act like a worn out clutch. it can not grip the otherwise good friction disk.

if the presser plate assy spring is weak, the clutch cable/lever/pedal will all be in the correct location (since the disk is not worn out), but it will slip like a bad clutch disk.

I always test the springs now, even on a new pressure plate, just to make sure it is good, before I install it, or when ever I have to take out the trans or the engine for any other reasons. replacing the clutch is too big of a job to trust the clutch is any good that is in it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)