I Need A Rear Diff

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
TYT
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel SR5

I Need A Rear Diff

Post by TYT »

I'm looking for a 3.73:1 rear diff. I own an 86 with an 83 or 84 transmission. Anyone have a diff they could sell to me?

Also, once I track down and install the correct diff, I can pass along my 4.11:1 rear diff to someone else in need - so if you're interested in that, let me know.

I'm told swapping out the third member in the axle assemble is a breeze, relatively. But before I attempt to do any of this, can someone confirm that an older 83 or 84 third member is compatible with a later axle assembly? - again, an 86 in my case. Are there any compatibility issues here I'm not aware of? Please let me know!
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: I Need A Rear Diff

Post by SirFoxx »

could always give them a call and see if they will ship
L_D1BE.tmp.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I wouldn’t mess with the third member, just find a 3.73:1 rearend (in decent? shape) and swap the whole thing in. AFAIK, axles swap between all years, I have pulled 84’ axles and used in my 85’ rear.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

NWMO wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:56 am I wouldn’t mess with the third member, just find a 3.73:1 rearend (in decent? shape) and swap the whole thing in. AFAIK, axles swap between all years, I have pulled 84’ axles and used in my 85’ rear.
its way easier and cheaper to ship a pumpkin / third member than it is to ship a whole axle.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

True, but hopefully a complete rear end could be found to swap in, which I would prefer over swapping the diff.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
TYT

Post by TYT »

Thanks guys. SirFoxx I tried the yard you linked, no dice. NWO I wish I could have the whole axle assembly shipped to me, but that's unfortunately a bit beyond my budget. Another forum member told me swapping the diffs should work. I found a seller on Ebay who was willing to pull a diff for me from a Tercel in their yard, $250 with free shipping. Felt like a good deal, esp. after calling around and coming up with steep quotes from others. The yard I purchased from has yet to confirm if it's the correct diff or not - I asked they count the teeth/look for any ratio markings on the ring gear. And hopefully the diff is in good shape. Wish me luck on this swap!
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

I have swapped quite a few tercel rear diffs. Doing the whole axle is not something i would do.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Post by xirdneh »

Did you find a 3.73 diff yet? I may have an extra one. I am away from home but can check sunday.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

xirdneh wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:24 am I have swapped quite a few tercel rear diffs. Doing the whole axle is not something i would do.
Hey Robert,

When you swap the diff, I picture having to check crush sleeves, bearing “pre-load”, etc.?

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Not on our cars- all you gotta do is pull the axle shafts, disconnect the driveshaft, and remove the 8-10 bolts (or nuts- I can't remember which) and the whole "pumpkin" comes out. All the shims, crush washers, etc. remain un disturbed in said "pumpkin." Easy-peasy- just like an old Chevy. Man, I love simple- probably the main reason I'm so hooked on our cars!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Gotcha, I had to renew the yoke seal and it was more involved than that.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

TYT,

xirdneh is great to deal with if you get the chance. If you can wait a bit, I would be willing to send you the third member from my parts car after checking it out and sending pics. If all worked well for you, I would love to trade for your 4.1:1 rear diff and you could send it back in the wooden box I build/send.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the third member in the axle housing is a direct swap into the axle house for the early and later gear ratios. I have done it several times when I got a fixer that had mis-matched front and rear ring and pinion ratios.

no worries, you just need to swap out the third member. that is far easier than swapping out a whole rear axle housing. you should also check the wheel bearings and axles seals when you get the axle out to swap the thrrd member.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
TYT

Post by TYT »

Thank you guys for the insight and feedback. Xirdneh and NWMO thank you for offering your help.

Rer233 I second what you said " Man, I love simple- probably the main reason I'm so hooked on our cars!" The Tercel's simplicity and the ease with which repairs can be done are, I believe, two of the main reasons these well-built wagons are still on the road. My 86 only has 154,000 miles on it with plenty of life left to go - I call it "the young terc" (TYT). I know these cars will go 300,000 + reliably, provided all the routine maintenance is minded.

Petros thanks for the confirmation on all this. I'm planning to just replace the wheel bearings and seals when I do the swap, but perhaps the ones in there right now are in good condition, so installing new ones may be unnecessary.
johnmichaelbabies
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 Manual 4wd Wagon

Post by johnmichaelbabies »

Really late to the party on this one, but I have two 3.73 rear diffs if you’re looking to pick one up. If you know of anyone with a 4.10, can you send them my way?