MTNF playtime

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

MTNF playtime

Post by NWMO »

Here are a couple of pics from this afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: MTNF playtime

Post by Nordical25 »

Very nice pics! Tercel 4wd has a very positive side in its 4wd system: it can take us closer to nature. And by driving with FWD mode you can be nearly always sure that if you get stuck, just put 4wd on to continue trip. Did you drive drive these roads with FWD or 4WD on?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Yes, 90% FWD, then I’d use 4WD when I went into the water spots, etc.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Yes, 90% FWD, then I’d use 4WD when I went into the water spots, etc. We did find a challenging run we hope to tackle later this year, after the Meet & Greet.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Challenging run sounds promising. Do you have lots of snow on winter? If you complete it now, you could try it again with snow to get even more challenge.

Tercel 4wd is really great in snowy small roads. With FWD its not going really steady forwards in deep snow but 4wd with diff lock changes it all.
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Looks like a blast! Before the Meet and Greet I will be taking some trails in the upper peninsula of Michigan. It wouldn’t be right if I didn’t spend a few days driving before the Meet!
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here are a couple of pics from the possible challenging route:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

a couple more pics:

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

NWMO:
The routes starts to look like challenging. But it is good to have some challenges with Tercel. I drove also challenging forest and snow routes before I started to restore my Tercels. The stairs would be hard for stock Tercel so these routes may need already a bit higher suspension and off-road tires. Could you post pictures or videos of hardest parts in the route when do drive the routes?

MrWrench:
And Upper Peninsula trails sound interesting too. These routes should have snow on winter if the routes are too easy during autumn. Upper Peninsula is also very interesting place since it has highest density of Finnish Americans and I heard that some people over there can speak even Finnish. Hopefully you will make video of that trip to your channel.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Nordical,

It’s definitely a “downhill only” trail (save a LOT of winching). If we do it, I expect we would build some short (4’ or so) ramps to get down the worst spots.

As for the pics/vids, I’m hoping for some good GoPro and drone video to share later this year.

Here is a website I put together after the 2020 Meet and Greet. https://chrisned90.wixsite.com/tercelgathering2020

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

It makes sense to do these hills downhill since pictures cannot always show well steepness of a hill.

Sharing material later this year is a good idea and you have already nice offroading pictures on that website.

Brighton Hollow Pond nature and trails reminds me of my previous offroading trails I've done. We have lots of forest around so here we can offroad small tractor trails and country trails/roads similarly to that area. We offroad also in the fields. A muddy field after heavy rain is the only place where I have managed to get my Tercel 4wd totally stuck. Even Hilux 4wd pickup couldn't tow my Tercel out, we needed a tractor for that.
Toyotise
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX. 1986 4WD SR5

Post by Toyotise »

Tercels in the wild! Hooray!
Keep it Stock; Live Long.