Stock vs. Weber

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

Stock vs. Weber

Post by tabercro »

Hi All,

Are there ANY cons to doing an emissions delete and going with the Weber set up? I live in Maine and it won't matter for registration here.

My Tercel was running great last fall when I put it away. Still don't have any idea what has made it go haywire. From everything I've read so far, parts availability for some emissions related stuff and OEM carb parts is getting spotty. I was getting good mileage (27 mpg) and had decent power so I have no reason to believe there are bigger problems. All signs point to fuel delivery in one way or another.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by tabercro on Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Stock vs, Weber

Post by NWMO »

Differing opinions on this. Pros/cons, but I have managed to rebuild and be satisfied with the stock carbs.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Stock vs. Weber

Post by xirdneh »

I have tried the weber and went back to stock. Mostly for mpg reasons
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I put a weber on my first tercel and it was fine but I preferred the stock carb so stuck with them on each subsequent car. The biggest cons to me for the weber are the cost and in freezing weather it would die at idle until it warmed up sufficiently.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Went back to rebuilt stock. much more drivable. no flatspots in acceleration. similar power tbh.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have owned and driven both. I like the factory carb set up, though as these cars age it is more difficult to keep everything working well. the stock set up is usually more reliable, and it runs better in both extreme heat and extreme cold start up. it is more economical and I have not noticed a big power improvement for the weber carb. with some experimenting with jets in the weber you might get it to the same economy, and improve drivablity (eliminate or reduce flat spots, etc) but it does not have the systems to help it run when very cold condition. there is also some alterations you must do to the throttle linkage to get it to work correctly. and some messing with the fuel pressure since the weber needs much lower fuel pressure to run correctly.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Sabrarain97
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel dlx 4WD Wagon Automatic

Post by Sabrarain97 »

Hey all,

I am wondering what is the main reason folks are choosing OEM over Weber, is it mostly just MPG?
~Sabra w/ a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD/FWD Automatic DLX (Terry)
ISO: Working Stock Carb for 3AC Engine
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

I prefer the stock carb because where I live, we have cold humid winters, and the Weber is prone to icing during warm up in those conditions. I like the simplicity of the weber but there are some drawbacks like that.

Also, the weber ends up being too tall for a lot of tercel's (not sure why it clears the hood on some and not others, it didn't on mine though) which necessitates some messing around with hood scoops and such. Way too much work for a carb that I don't view as superior.

I found the mpg to be about the same between the stock carb and Weber.
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

dlb wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:05 pm I prefer the stock carb because where I live, we have cold humid winters, and the Weber is prone to icing during warm up in those conditions. I like the simplicity of the weber but there are some drawbacks like that.

Also, the weber ends up being too tall for a lot of tercel's (not sure why it clears the hood on some and not others, it didn't on mine though) which necessitates some messing around with hood scoops and such. Way too much work for a carb that I don't view as superior.

I found the mpg to be about the same between the stock carb and Weber.
redline sends out the wrong air filter with the kits as its also aimed for the 3tc engines. theres no need for a hood scoop.

the people who have cold running issues never adjusted the choke on them. you have to adjust the electric choke for the webers to run right.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

SirFoxx wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:58 am redline sends out the wrong air filter with the kits as its also aimed for the 3tc engines. theres no need for a hood scoop.

the people who have cold running issues never adjusted the choke on them. you have to adjust the electric choke for the webers to run right.
Not true. I and most people here ordered and received the short air filter. Still didn't clear on my car, plenty of others with the same experience.
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Sir Foxx has a gen 1 car and ours are gen2- maybe different hood clearances?
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Post by SirFoxx »

rer233 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:11 am Sir Foxx has a gen 1 car and ours are gen2- maybe different hood clearances?
ive had three wagons as well. you have to use the shorty air filter. the one that comes with the standard weber kit does not fit.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Gotcha- I've got NO experience with Weber carbs!
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
Cadendoo22
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota tercel sr5 4wd

Post by Cadendoo22 »

I've only had a Weber on my car and I've never had any carb problems. My gas mileage isn't great though, getting about 18 mpg but that's probably due to my 27 inch tires.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member

Post by dlb »

Cadendoo22 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:18 pm I've only had a Weber on my car and I've never had any carb problems. My gas mileage isn't great though, getting about 18 mpg but that's probably due to my 27 inch tires.
18 mpg would be terrible. 4.11 gearing should get high 20s, 3.73 gearing should get low 30s. Are you taking the size difference between stock and your tires into account when calculating your mileage, ie adding 10% or whatever to the miles traveled?