HAI Hose

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
tabercro
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 4WD

HAI Hose

Post by tabercro »

Hi All,

I posted a couple of days ago with questions pertaining to my 1985 having major idling issues. The more I dig into what's going on with my carburetor and fuel system, the more little issues I find. Old and cracked hoses (vacuum, PCV, etc.). At this point, I'm starting to wonder if my setup has been tweaked over time to compensate for issues as they came up rather than actually fixing them. Yesterday, when I removed the air filter assembly, I discovered that there is no HAI hose attached. Here are my basic questions:

1. What does HAI stand for? And what does it do, specifically?
2. Is there a guide somewhere that deals with all of the acronyms that are often not spelled out? People referred me to the AAP being a possible issue and it took some digging to figure out that one. There are lots more in the FSM, not all explained when you want them to be!

Thanks in advance for any help.
-Tom
-------------------------
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD
1992 Volvo 740
1999 Volvo V70 R AWD
1986 Vixen 21TD
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: HAI Hose

Post by NWMO »

HAI = Hot Air Intake

http://tercel4wd.com/fsm/1985T4WD.pdf

page EC-43
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: HAI Hose

Post by xirdneh »

Make sure the three ports at vac adv are hooked up correctly. The HIC port has a pinhole. Usually its on top passenger side but i have seen it on top drivers side once
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.