84 Tercel 4wd

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Shin204
My tercel:: 1984 4wd Tercel No modification

84 Tercel 4wd

Post by Shin204 »

Pretty well stock, bought it about 2 months ago....was running fine, bout 3 days ago it started being alot more....eager to downshift, to keep it in high gear at 55mph you got to really feather the throttle.

Any ideas appreciated
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: 84 Tercel 4wd

Post by dlb »

To start with, check your air and fuel filters. If you stomp on the throttle, does the engine bog down or die? That's a sign of a clogged fuel filter. And I have heard of people whose air filter have been so clogged that it behaved similarly to a clogged fuel filter. Try those first and let us know what you find.
Shin204
My tercel:: 1984 4wd Tercel No modification

Post by Shin204 »

Doesn't really big down at all, though I do notice alot of induction noise ....so thinking air filter myself.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there is a linkage from the throttle to a lever on the auto trans that is adjustable. make sure the ATF in the trans is topped up (in fact it is a good idea to change it, and add some valve body cleaner additive to the ATF).

with fresh fluid shifting issues usually go away, but you can also adjust at what throttle setting it will kick down, if necessary.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)