Seems to stall when climbing hills

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Peanut1982
My tercel:: 1987

Seems to stall when climbing hills

Post by Peanut1982 »

So.... I took the plunge and purchased 3 more. Just got one up and running and seems like it was running fine. New head gasket Petros style, rebuilt carb and the works. Put about 1000 miles on it since but, now it seems like it is starving for fuel or something. I went ahead and cleaned out the carb again as it probably has not run for about 8 or 9 years. It only happens when going up hills(or mountains). Not super familiar with the stock carb and all vacuum lines(my daily has a webber on it). I chased them the best I could using the other ones I have as a map. Seems fine I think. Just ordered a fuel filter, so maybe thats plugged? Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks,
Peanut.
To the moon and back!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Seems to stall when climbing hills

Post by NWMO »

I would expect you are on the right track, sounds like a possible fuel delivery issue. There is a small screen filter at the bottom of the carb fuel intake that you might check as well.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Peanut1982
My tercel:: 1987

Post by Peanut1982 »

So thanks for the advise Chris.... I decided to go back into the carb... watched the you tube video alot. Well upon reassembly I discovered my issue. It was a self inflicted wound. The secondary pickup by the throttle cable assembly had turned 90 degrees. That explains why she had no gusto uphill. Hope my explanation makes since, not sure what all the parts are called. The good news it that she is back! Sure, I have a few more bugs to work out, but now I have 2 runners in my fleet. Couldn't be happier.
To the moon and back!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Glad you got her figured out, keep up the good work!

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain