Will an L30 Tercel window regulator fit in a Tercel4WD? Note quite.

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Will an L30 Tercel window regulator fit in a Tercel4WD? Note quite.

Post by duragauge »

The driver's window regulator/crank went out on one of my '86 wagons a few weeks ago. I know there are posts for fixing it by welding, etc., but I've been keeping my eye out for a used one.

I know the OEM part number is 6982016020 and one Toyota parts website seems to indicate that the 1988 Tercel sedan/hatchback uses the same part.
OBS regulator.PNG

Thanks to garyfish's post from a few weeks ago, I was able to experiment on an '83 wagon at a wrecking yard in Portland today.

I pulled a regulator out of an '88 hatchback a few rows away. It looked pretty similar to the one in my wagon.
IMG_20220608_130646832.jpg

When I put it in the '83 wagon in the yard all the bolt holes lined up except for one, giving me a glimmer of hope.
InkedIMG_20220608_142934989_LI.jpg

Cranking the lever moved the window perfectly, except it wouldn't go all the way up. It stopped about 2" from the top.
IMG_20220608_143038235.jpg

The issue is that it ran out of teeth.
InkedIMG_20220608_143210023_LI.jpg

If there was a simple way to rotate the gear mechanism about 30 degrees, I bet it would work just fine.

It seemed like a long shot that a regulator from a 3rd gen sedan/hatchback would work on the 2nd gen wagon, but it was worth trying. Lesson learned (for free!)

Has anyone tried to install a window regulator from a 2nd gen Tercel sedan/hatchback?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: Will an L30 Tercel window regulator fit in a Tercel4WD? Note quite.

Post by Mattel »

Good work. Was that Regulator from a 3 door rather than a five door Tercel as perhaps that is the issue? (FYI we only got 5 door 2nd gen AL25 Tercel 4wd Wagons in Australia. no other body style or generation so I don't really have a clue on the other types)
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

Right, it was from a 2 door hatchback (I guess that makes 3 doors).

ac2ccf4a-90e2-462f-8557-d7bbc7ca4020.jpg

The angular body made me think it might have some cross-compatibility with the AL25, but it appears not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

If it has a hatch we will call it a three door (or 5 door even) in Australia.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the two door version of the car doors are longer. it is not unreasonable that the window regulator from the next gen tercel would fit, but try to find a 4 door (5 door) version so the door is of the shorter type. it is even possible the 4 door corolla door regulator is close enough to make work too. they do not redesign every detail on the cars from one gen to the next, and from one model to the next, but try to use as many of their existing parts inventory as possible for each model.

for example, the corrolla windsheild wiper motor is the same as on the tercel but they have a different connector, so they have a different part number. but if you swap out the connector it will work in the Tercel.

so you never know until you try to see if it will fit or not.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)