Julio's 4wd Tercel problems

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Julio!
My tercel:: Tercel 4wd, AL25 model

Julio's 4wd Tercel problems

Post by Julio! »

Hey everybody ! I'm Jules, i am 18 yo and i live in France. (Sorry for my english lol.) I completly fell in love with 4wd tercels, so i had to buy one. She is pretty clean, few rust points, but i have other problems on this car. Guess I'll start by the fact that she does not start. In fact i have no spark. The distributor seems ok, spark plugs are new, and sparkplug cables are ok too. I think that the problem is the high tension coil. Thanks to my multimeter, i test it by placing it on the + and - of the coil, and i don't have 12v. But, if i put it on the + of the coil, and the other one on a - on the motor, i have 12v.
If y'all have any recommandations, or questions,i'll be happy to hear it ! Hope you all have a nice day ! :D Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: Julio's 4wd Tercel problems

Post by Nordical25 »

That is nice 82-84 model. You can check the ignition coil by measuring resistance between + and -. Then you continue by measuring + and coil wire. What are readings of these measurements?

Besides that you can have bad breaker points, wrong breaker points clearance, ignition condenser, rotor, distributor cap or bad wires.

Could you first see how your breaker points look? They tend to give up with time.
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

Nordical25 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:25 am That is nice 82-84 model. You can check the ignition coil by measuring resistance between + and -. Then you continue by measuring + and coil wire. What are readings of these measurements?

Besides that you can have bad breaker points, wrong breaker points clearance, ignition condenser, rotor, distributor cap or bad wires.

Could you first see how your breaker points look? They tend to give up with time.
Hey man thanks for responding! here's a few pics of the measurements you told me about:
IMG_5356.JPG
IMG_5358.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG
Pay attention to the multimeter, how the button is placed, and how the connectors are placed. Is that what you were talking about ?

As you asked me, i took a pic of the distributor, so you can see the breaker point. i tried to measure the gap of it but i don't know if it was the good way to measure it. Also, the whiter wire has been changed.
IMG_5363.JPG
Hope i did everything correctly, thanks again !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Thank you for pictures.

According to my Corolla 2A-specifications, 2,3 Ohm measurement should be between 1,3-1,6Ohm. So it could be ok/not ok depending accuracy the the measurement.So the primary coil measurement is a bit out of spec.

11.6kOhm measurement is fine.

However, I think that you will need new breaker points. To me that part looks worn out. There is burnt surface, when you look your picture with my comments. You need also to be sure that tab does touch metal. Otherwise there is no contact. And last but not least, breaker point distance gap should be 0,45mm according to my handbook. However you adjust it differently according to my workbook. The distance is measured on the distributor shaft "flat" part and breaker point bakelite part. So it is not like most breaker points.

How is your distributor rotor and distributor cap?
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

And here is better picture for adjusting 0,45mm point clearance.
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

Nordical25 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:52 pm

"However, I think that you will need new breaker points."

"How is your distributor rotor and distributor cap?"
IMG_5365.PNG
Sooo for the price i bought these guys, i'll be sure they aren't a problem anymore.
Also i have another ignition coil from another car ( not a tercel) but it's 12v. Do you think i can try ?
And for the distributor rotor and cap, i cleaned them, and i'll send you few pics later today. :D
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

Great! They should help to get your Tercel going again. You can try to use another ignition coil it as long as its Toyota one with front resistor (the white thing in front of coil). Be sure to connect it similarly. The white front resistor is used when starting Tercel. You can measure it electronically similarly to previous. If the readings are same, you can try to start with current one too.

And cleaning rotor and cap are also good ideas.
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

Nordical25 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:14 am Great! They should help to get your Tercel going again.
In fact they were the problem ! Now she’s running ! I tried her on a short distance to see if everything was ok. The only problem is that i can’t go backward, but i think i know why. I wanted to upload a video of her running but i can’t. :cry: Also i’d like to change the old oil of the motor, the rear diff and the gear box. What should i take ? Thanks for your help, without you she wouldn’t be running ! See ya !
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Good for you!

regular grade motor oil should be fine, 10w-30 or 10w-40 wt.

Transmission gear oil is important for long transmission life. use GL-4, 90 wt gear oil for the trans, go read on on changing the gear box oil, it is not a straight forward oil change. It is in the repair guides section of this forum, and make sure you get the correct amount of gear oil into the transmission/front diff housing (they share the gear oil).

the rear diff you can just check for oil level, that seldom gets worn out. you can replace it if you want, again, make sure you get it filled to the correct level.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

You are welcome. I am also glad to hear that your Tercel is running now. Remember to adjust ignition always after changing breaker points. Breaker point Tercel spec. is about 7 degrees.

I use also 10w-40 motor oil and Mobilube 80w-90 into transmission and rear axle. However, you may have different oil brands in France. So it depends what brands you have.

What is the reverse problem? Could you upload a video of problem to youtube for example and send a link to here?
HuguesFR
My tercel:: Tercel 4WD 1987

Post by HuguesFR »

Toutes vos connaissances et vos conseils sur nos Tercel sont des mines d'or pour nous les nouveaux propriétaires

All your knowledge and advice on our Tercels are goldmines for us new owners.
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

Nordical25 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:23 am What is the reverse problem? Could you upload a video of problem to youtube for example and send a link to here?
When i put my car in reverse, she is going frontwards then stalls. Like if you put the third gear then release the clutch. So, on the next few weeks, i am going to take the motor and gear box out of the car, for maintenance purposes and to find what is going wrong with the reverse speed. I already took the gear lever out and there is a lot of dirt in here. Il try to post a few pics so you can see.

If anybody already had this problem or have toughts on this, i’lol be happy to hear it. Thanks everybody !
HuguesFR
My tercel:: Tercel 4WD 1987

Post by HuguesFR »

Jules, pour la marche arrière, tu mets bien le levier de vitesse à l'arrière droit (Comme si c'était la 6ème)

Jules, for reverse, you put the gear lever in the right rear (As if it was 6th)
Nordical25
Top Notch Member

Post by Nordical25 »

HuguesFR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 am Jules, pour la marche arrière, tu mets bien le levier de vitesse à l'arrière droit (Comme si c'était la 6ème)

This is good advice. It sounds like the car is running on either 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th gear if it goes a bit forward and stalls. Is the brake light on when you try to reverse? You can try this with ignition "on". You don't need to start engine for that.
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

HuguesFR wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:14 am Jules, pour la marche arrière, tu mets bien le levier de vitesse à l'arrière droit (Comme si c'était la 6ème)

Oui c’est ce que j’ai fait. Et pourtant elle avance. Je réponds au poste de Nordical25 avec une photo qui pourrait déjà soulever un problème. Merci à vous.