Julio's 4wd Tercel problems

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Julio!
My tercel:: Tercel 4wd, AL25 model

Re: Julio's 4wd Tercel problems

Post by Julio! »

Nordical25 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:13 am
Is the brake light on when you try to reverse?
In fact i didn’t tested this way. But i dont think that the reverse gear was in. Also, you might look at this:
0494C1AE-B4FE-4732-9D3A-20F2B4C5D1D3.jpeg
4DD5C475-C0D7-4F10-BB3F-2ED24C328EDF.jpeg
38C26D0F-8AEE-4BEE-8D9F-ECA62706238E.jpeg
The gear lever was really « wiggly » and had a lot of play. As you can see, it’s in a very bad shape. The place where the gear lever sits is also very rusty.

In the few next weeks, i was planning to get the motor out of the car for maintenance purposes. It will be easier for me to clean the engine and the gear box (Also the engine bay). Thanks for your advices.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Ok, that is explaining it all very well. Your gearbox maybe a bit stuck on a gear.

There are good tips and good Youtube-videos behind these treads on gearbox being stuck:
viewtopic.php?p=104961&hilit=tranny+stuck#p104961
viewtopic.php?p=112831&hilit=Stuck+in+3rd+gear#p112831

You can already before pulling out the gearbox start to spray penetrating oil, like WD-40 or CRC 5-56 into visible rusted parts. Hopefully they would start to move more easily.

And you can pull the engine from engine bay and gearbox below the car. Engine is a bit easier to pull so you can start from that one and proceed to gearbox afterwards.
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

Nordical25 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:47 pm Ok, that is explaining it all very well. Your gearbox maybe a bit stuck on a gear.
I am going to try what you told me. A good cleaning will help at first. Is it normal that all this dirt went in here?
I’ll show the cleaning when i’ll be able to start the tear-down. Thanks again, see ya !
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Julio,

I would expect you are not getting the transmission in the “reverse” position. With 3rd and reverse being side by side, I wonder if a portion of the shift “linkage” is not allowing you to shift into reverse? and you are landing in 3rd instead?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Julio!

Post by Julio! »

NWMO wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:48 pm Julio,

I would expect you are not getting the transmission in the “reverse” position. With 3rd and reverse being side by side, I wonder if a portion of the shift “linkage” is not allowing you to shift into reverse? and you are landing in 3rd instead?

Chris
Thanks Chris for your question. In fact i think that i can’t reach the reverse gear at some point, even tho the gear lever is in the reverse gear position. I’ll try to clean as much as possible to see a bit better, hopefully i can find what’s going wrong.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you will need to replace the plastic cup for the end of the shift lever, and a large one for the upper pivot. there should be a rubber boot at the top of the shift lever housing to keep muddy splash out of the linkage housing. that is likely why it got so rusty. You can fabricate a boot from a bicycle inner tube and some zip ties, but the boot does not cost much so getting a new one is likely a better bet. once you clean up the linkage compartment I would put a lot of marine grease in there to keep water from collecting in that space.

the plastic pivots and the boot is still available since they also fit on newer vehicles. there are threads in the forum on part numbers where to order the correct parts, some of them are jeep parts, some come from a Tacoma truck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)