No. 5 clutch hub assembly remove/replace

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

No. 5 clutch hub assembly remove/replace

Post by NWMO »

Ok my experienced friends,

FSM, M/T-51 (21.-3) says to use a press to get the hub assembly back on. What is the best way to do this if only replacing the No. 3 clutch hub assembly on the front of a complete transmission? It looked like the center of shaft may be threaded so a bolt/spacers could be used, but I didn’t confirm.

TIA,

Chris

PS (7/2) - I just used a hammer and light tapping to get the hub assembly back on. The center of the shaft is not threaded.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: No. 3 clutch hub assembly remove/replace

Post by xirdneh »

Did you get this done. I assume your refering to 5th gear assy on front driver side of tranny.
I do not have FsM handy
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: No. 3 clutch hub assembly remove/replace

Post by xirdneh »

If so i pull using simple puller and install using large deep type socket and knock it on with hammer. Have to make sure synchro notch stays lined up and dont forget to have shift fork hooked up. I do not know how many times I forgot the shift fork
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: No. 5 clutch hub assembly remove/replace

Post by NWMO »

Hello Robert,

I have cleaned up the title as I’m still learning the transmission. With your invaluable videos and willingness to answer my questions when contacted, I have gotten this done. Only a few hundred miles on her so far (working on a few other things), but the Rusty Frog is still hopping.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain