Power Steering Stiff

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Power Steering Stiff

Post by marlinh »

I have a general question to put out there about my DD.

A few years ago, I put power steering in this car. I am aware of the debate of PS vs manual. The parts came from a donor car that I had never driven directly. The steering was always easy, you could turn just using your fingertips, not like other Tercels with PS. I figured the output pressure was high from the pump. It was one of those things I never got around to troubleshooting. The car developed a small weep at the input shaft. No problem, just topped the fluid up once in a while...anyway, yesterday on my way to work the steering got stiff as I slowed to make a right hand turn. I pulled over and topped up the fluid. It was a little bit low but not empty. The steering was better but not the same as usual. Anyway, with the car idling and sitting still, turning the steering a bit to the right and then the left and you can watch the idle drop as if there was a load on the engine. I wasn't turning it lock to lock. Turning right is a bit stiffer than turning left now. It is not the input shaft u joint. Is the rack on it's way out? Just curious for any input from forum members experience. Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Power Steering Stiff

Post by Petros »

anything is possible on a car this old, you have to diagnosis it of course. could be the small u-joints binding up, usually soaking them in penetrating oil will reveal if that is the issue. Helps for all of this to jack the front end up so the front wheels on off the ground. with the engine off steer the wheels lock to lock, and than start the engine again and try it. if there is no change in resistance than likley the rack is binding up (often you can feel lumpy steering action). if it makes a difference for when the pump is running or not (you can double check by removing the pump's belt and test for any change in steering wheel resistance), likely the pump is giving up. if that is the case the steering should be smooth and even. best to remove the pump from the the system if it is bad, so it does not send metal shavings into the rack. and if the rack is bad, replace it ASAP, it will send metal shavings into the pump. Either way, flush all the old fluid out of the system before you fix it and get it back on the road.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)