ISO transmission/ advice

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Chrismcg
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel no mods

ISO transmission/ advice

Post by Chrismcg »

Hey all, I got my first Tercel recently and just got the engine in line and seeming to run good. Now onto the tranny it’s an automatic, it slips a whole lot from second to third and rarely even makes it up to third, also shifting into reverse is a big nasty slam.

So, I’m ISO a good condition manual transmission to purchase. I have an 85’ with the 3a. Or looking for your input on what you would do to fix up this tranny…. Take it to a shop and get it rebuilt?… maybe there’s some trick and you’ve been down this block before?… ( I have very minimal mechanical skills and any input is appreciated )

Peace,
Chris
SirFoxx
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel w/ 7age

Re: ISO transmission/ advice

Post by SirFoxx »

Chrismcg wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:26 am Hey all, I got my first Tercel recently and just got the engine in line and seeming to run good. Now onto the tranny it’s an automatic, it slips a whole lot from second to third and rarely even makes it up to third, also shifting into reverse is a big nasty slam.

So, I’m ISO a good condition manual transmission to purchase. I have an 85’ with the 3a. Or looking for your input on what you would do to fix up this tranny…. Take it to a shop and get it rebuilt?… maybe there’s some trick and you’ve been down this block before?… ( I have very minimal mechanical skills and any input is appreciated )

Peace,
Chris
make sure your trans cable is adjusted properly, and you have the correct amount of fluid in it.

youre going to need more than just a trans to do a MT swap. If you have minimal mechanical skills, doing a trans swap may be outside of your skill set.

almost no shop is going to want to touch the trans due to its age and lack of documentation. There is only one kit left on rock auto that has all the seals, orings, friction plates, etc. but it seems you cannot get the steels anymore. you may want to source another auto trans for your car.
1988 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon w/ weber (RIP)
1985 4wd Tercel SR5 (RIP)
1986 Base 2dr Hatch (RIP / PARTS)
1986 DLX 4wd Tercel Wagon with ???
1985 DLX 2dr Tercel Hatch w/manual swap
1981 2dr Toyota Tercel w/7age (RIP)
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel w/Turbo 4AGE
1981 3dr hatch Toyota Tercel SR-5
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

I have an automatic 4wd transmission. Unknown condition. Was told it came from a good runner but was smashed
Located in Grand Rapids, MI.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

before you replace the trans you might try flushing it out. when a car is this old there is sludge and clutch particles that build up in the trans and if it stis around may actually settle into the valve body and small passage ways. I had a more than a few very old auto trans cars (one a Tercel, an other a first gen honda CRX), that shifted badly once I got it repaired and on the road. I added fresh ATF, and a valve body cleaner additive, drove it for a week or so, and changed it out. all the problems went away, my daughter drove the Honda for several more years without issues, she even drove it across the country with not transmission problems. She eventually sold the car with the transmission still working fine.

it does not always work, and the repair shop will tell you it will not work, but after almost 50 years of driving mostly older cars, I will also give that a try first before replacing or rebuilding the trans. it should not cost more than about $30 to try it. So why not? it might save you a lot of expense and trouble.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)