FS: Parts car, low-mileage '86 T4WD wagon w/ auto tranny, South Lake Tahoe, CA

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

FS: Parts car, low-mileage '86 T4WD wagon w/ auto tranny, South Lake Tahoe, CA

Post by garyfish »

Saw this on FB Marketplace. Might already be sold, as the listing was first posted 8 weeks ago.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT THIS VEHICLE. I AM NOT THE SELLER, JUST PASSING ON INFORMATION.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 981754277/

Asking $490

About This Vehicle:
Driven 79,000 miles
Automatic transmission
Exterior color: Brown · Interior color: Beige
Fuel type: Gasoline
This vehicle is paid off

Seller's Description:
1986 Toyota hatchback four wheel drive Toyota Tercel. Parts car. Need it gone. $600 or best offer. parts car!! Alert: I don’t know if it’s drive, last I heard it did not run. If it ran I would ask more money. I’m open to offers. But it’s all or nothing. It hasn’t been registered in 3 years. It belonged to my stepmom who passed away. I really don’t want to deal with anything I just need it gone. So again it’s a parts car. For parts. If you want the title and all that we can do that, however back registration will be due and idk if will pass smog. Best offer takes it.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
aibuckley
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel

Re: FS: Parts car, low-mileage '86 T4WD wagon w/ auto tranny, South Lake Tahoe, CA

Post by aibuckley »

I picked this up and got it running.
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Re: FS: Parts car, low-mileage '86 T4WD wagon w/ auto tranny, South Lake Tahoe, CA

Post by garyfish »

Awesome! Another road-worthy T4WD saved from being parted out, or ending up at a wrecker's yard!

What did it take to get it running? Just curious.
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Great job and thank you Gary for sharing the advertisement!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
aibuckley

Post by aibuckley »

garyfish wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:33 pm Awesome! Another road-worthy T4WD saved from being parted out, or ending up at a wrecker's yard!

A battery and a can of starting fluid. The radiator has a 6in crack on the top tank....probably what led them to park it then the owner passed away. I'm still on the hunt for a replacement radiator.

Changed out plugs, wires, cap and rotor....fires right up. 59k miles. I'll wipe her up and pass her along to someone.
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Glad it got saved from the crusher!
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

aibuckley wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:19 am
garyfish wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:33 pm Awesome! Another road-worthy T4WD saved from being parted out, or ending up at a wrecker's yard!

A battery and a can of starting fluid. The radiator has a 6in crack on the top tank....probably what led them to park it then the owner passed away. I'm still on the hunt for a replacement radiator.

Changed out plugs, wires, cap and rotor....fires right up. 59k miles. I'll wipe her up and pass her along to someone.
This is fantastic. Good on you, aibuckley.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

better keep an eye on the coolant level as you drive it. if they overheated the engine when the radiator gave up, they may have compromised the head gasket. It is unfortunately quite common, it may run okay, and even show good compression, but a small seep in a damaged head gasket will eventually get worse and fail completely.

it is not too hard to replace the head gasket on these cars. I have a head gasket repair thread over in the Repair guides section that will show you everything you need to know.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
aibuckley

Post by aibuckley »

Thanks Petros. I'm not driving it yet. It's parked until I can get a radiator.