ISO: Stock Carburetor for 1985 A/T w/ 3AC Engine

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
Sabrarain97
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel dlx 4WD Wagon Automatic

ISO: Stock Carburetor for 1985 A/T w/ 3AC Engine

Post by Sabrarain97 »

Hi all!

I've been having some struggles with carbs on my Terry. Went through 3 from OReillys, each having some kind of issue, and the one that came with the car when I purchased was also shite. I took the car in this last time w/ the most recent new carb from OReillys, because I am getting about 16 mpg/130 miles per tank, and the mechanic has quoted me ~650$ to adjust the float because apparently it is way too low "in the bowl". Don't exactly know what that means, but seems likely related to the fact that the carb is burning gas wayyy too rich.

Anywayy,
I am wondering if anyone has a stock carb for my Tercel that is actually operable for an affordable price, because I am so in the hole with this car and not looking forward to being 700 more into the grave.

Thank you all for your help!
~Sabra w/ a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD/FWD Automatic DLX (Terry)
ISO: Working Stock Carb for 3AC Engine
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: ISO: Stock Carburetor for 1985 A/T w/ 3AC Engine

Post by Nordical25 »

Hi Sabrarain97,

what are the issues in the previous carbs compared to a newest carb? And are all of them stock AISAN carbs? And does your car have any other issues besides low MPG?

E.g. Spark plugs can get soon very dirty if you run your car long time with rich mixture. So other systems, like fuel, vacuum and ignition system can cause also partially lower MPG.
Sabrarain97
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel dlx 4WD Wagon Automatic

Post by Sabrarain97 »

Hi Nordical25
Nordical25 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:53 am

So I am not sure on what the AISAN is, is there something on the carb that I could look at that would denote whether it is AISAN or not? At the time of this post I had replaced all of the spark plugs, so those are not associated with the problems.
I have put another OEM stock carb in, and now it is getting about 21 mpg. Other problem that I am having is the exhaust spitting, and sometimes it just struggles to start up.
~Sabra w/ a 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD/FWD Automatic DLX (Terry)
ISO: Working Stock Carb for 3AC Engine
Iggzmon
My tercel:: '84 Truckcel 4wd

Post by Iggzmon »

I actually have a spare carb I pulled from an '84 3AC A/T a few months back!

It would definitely benefit from a rebuild I just haven't found the time...
Rebuild kit is only around ~$40 and Robert has a friggin' sweet video detailing the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCzFuPqssfE

Let me know if you're interested & have a Merry Christmas :)
mrdance123
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 84 and 85 4wd wagons

Post by mrdance123 »

I have a number of working spare carburetors in my collection.

I would demonstrate one installed,
running with a test drive in my Tercel,
then remove it and sell it to you if you like it.

$200 as is.

Portland Oregon area.
85 T4 Speedy Blue, SR5, 270-312k, operational R12 A/C, in use.
84 T4 Curmudgeon Copper, 188-294k, my first T4 in 1990, now Dad's daily driver.
RIP - 84 T4 Foxy Blue, 256-288k, engine died 2021, sold to PNP
Sold: 86 T2 Silver, VIN ending 5847, 194k, cherry condition, now in a good home.
RIP - 83 T4 Smokin' Gold, 270k, rusted out body, parted & scrapped
RIP - 84 T4 Quicksilver SR5, 125k, blown engine no oil, had sat 10+ years, parted & scrapped.
RIP - 80 Corolla (purchased new), 0-473k, 358k original engine, rear-ended totaled in 2003.
Bigtoast
My tercel:: 1985 tercel 4wd all stock

Post by Bigtoast »

I have one if you're still looking
Daniella
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Post by Daniella »

Hello, I am looking for a stock carburetor for my 1985 Tercel, just checking in to see if there was one here. At RockAuto they want upwards of $450 for a carb and by the language they use I think it’s rebuilt. From what I gather it sounds like it’s preferable to replace with a stock carb??

Rock auto option : https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... retor,5904

The mechanic says mine is dumping gas into the carb, he adjusted the idle so it’s running higher rpm’s but still chokes when I drive, I’m not able to leave 2nd gear and she is struggling for a proper fuel/air mix. This happened 2 weeks after getting my exhaust system rebuilt.

Any input would be appreciated thanks!
Daniella
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Post by Nordical25 »

Daniella wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:51 pm Hello, I am looking for a stock carburetor for my 1985 Tercel, just checking in to see if there was one here. At RockAuto they want upwards of $450 for a carb and by the language they use I think it’s rebuilt. From what I gather it sounds like it’s preferable to replace with a stock carb??

Rock auto option : https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toy ... retor,5904

The mechanic says mine is dumping gas into the carb, he adjusted the idle so it’s running higher rpm’s but still chokes when I drive, I’m not able to leave 2nd gear and she is struggling for a proper fuel/air mix. This happened 2 weeks after getting my exhaust system rebuilt.

Any input would be appreciated thanks!
You could look some salvage yards to see if you manage to find a buy one. A 4A carb can work too if you find one. So keep on looking. It won't hurt to have a spare carbuteror in your garage.

Another alternative is a Weber carb to your Tercel. You will find some good tutorials if you type "Tercel Weber" into Youtube. By doing this you can also skip some vacuum lines. We have here some members driving with Weber carbs. I am sure that they can help you with that Weber.

Your issue maybe also a vacuum or ignition related issues. So the carb is not the only component to cause these kinds of issues. Your air to fuel ratio can be messed up too if you will have an air leak or bad spark. So first you could check correct vacuum routing + ignition system components. Then when you know that they are ok, you can move on to carb. Or did mechanic check also your ignition system?
Dreaminvader
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 door Hatch 2wd

Post by Dreaminvader »

Might be a complete newbie question here, but is there a difference between a carb from auto and manual? I am swapping my 83 FWD hatchback from auto to manual transmission... I know it has some kind of linkage that goes to the auto trans right? Is this not on the manual car carburetor? How do I go about making my carb work for my manual trans once it's installed? Thanks for any replies
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Dreaminvader wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:11 pm Might be a complete newbie question here, but is there a difference between a carb from auto and manual? I am swapping my 83 FWD hatchback from auto to manual transmission... I know it has some kind of linkage that goes to the auto trans right? Is this not on the manual car carburetor? How do I go about making my carb work for my manual trans once it's installed? Thanks for any replies
The bulk of the carb is the same between auto and manual Tercels but there are sometimes some small differences in a few of the vacuum ports. But if you're keeping the stock carb in the car I don't think you will need to change anything vacuum-wise.

The linkage that connects the carb to the auto trans attaches to a ball on the throttle bracket so you will just delete the linkage.
Dreaminvader
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4 door Hatch 2wd

Post by Dreaminvader »

Awesome thank you brother, gonna chip away at the swap here and there after work every day til she's done.