Power Windows/Locks with FOB

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
nightcrawler07
My tercel:: 1984 SR5

Power Windows/Locks with FOB

Post by nightcrawler07 »

Has anyone installed one of the universal kits for power windows/locks? What was your experience like?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Power Windows/Locks with FOB

Post by dlb »

I did this on my ae95 corolla wagon, and it was terrible. The kit came from China so that's probably why. Anyway, it took a while to install, probably 6 hrs or so, worked great for a little while and was really nice, but within a few months one lock stopped working, and with a few more months none of them worked. When I went to fix things, I found the metal that had been used in the wires was crumbling away. Just utter garbage.

So, if you are going to go this route, my advice is to find a kit that has NOT been made in China, and maybe has lots of good reviews. After my experience though, I will never do this again.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

these mates from down under show how they installed a power window kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1AxO6Bt-kk

I would think a more reliable approach would be to get a set of power window assemblies from a similar year corolla or celica and adapt them to fit. the window regulator will be almost the same as the Tercel, but it will take a bit of cutting, shimming and fitting I would think. if you source the parts from a PicknPull it would be cheap, and you would get genuine Toyota parts for it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

dlb wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:16 am I did this on my ae95 corolla wagon, and it was terrible. The kit came from China so that's probably why. Anyway, it took a while to install, probably 6 hrs or so, worked great for a little while and was really nice, but within a few months one lock stopped working, and with a few more months none of them worked. When I went to fix things, I found the metal that had been used in the wires was crumbling away. Just utter garbage.

So, if you are going to go this route, my advice is to find a kit that has NOT been made in China, and maybe has lots of good reviews. After my experience though, I will never do this again.
Ugh, I had to remove an aftermarket power door lock kit from one of my Subarus. the solinoids had failed and I was surprised the P.O. hadn't snapped a key off in the door lock (System was D.O.A. when I bought the car.).
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited