Value Determination

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Value Determination

Post by NWMO »

Looking good Nightcrawler! Check the oil level in your transmission before driving much (plug on passenger side rear part of transmission). Lots of good info on this site and in the FSM. If you don't find it easily, let us know and we can link it.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Value Determination

Post by dlb »

nightcrawler07 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:21 am I have noticed that as I park it in different places there is something coming off the vehicle. I've been checking the oil everytime I start it, so I don't think its oil. My best guess is coolant, or possible transmission fluid.

Additionally, I hung my head under the front bumper looking for the leak and noticed a hydraulic rod without a nut on the end of it. From what I can tell its the engine dampener, so I will look into that next.
If the leak is manual transmission oil, it will smell strongly kind of like onions. The CV axle seals and 4wd shifter are common leak points for gear oil. It's important to fix those asap so you don't accidentally run low on gear oil and trash the transmission.

The engine dampener's are NLA. If you go way back on the forums, you can find a few different approaches people have come up with to replace it but I believe most have just deleted it and not had any problems.