Camry struts??

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Terdcell
My tercel:: 1985 4wd sr5 wagon

Camry struts??

Post by Terdcell »

I heard Camry struts in the front will give you 2-3” of lift, is this true and if so what year Camry struts??
1985 4wd sr5 wagon
1981 3door hatch
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Camry struts??

Post by dlb »

I know everyone hates being told "do a search" but there are countless threads on this topic. Just search "Camry strut"

But also, keep in mind that if you do a lift without lowering the transmission, you are going to wreck CV axles fast. A few members here have documented how they lowered the other stuff to prevent that. I think it was Professor who detailed it best.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I do not recall anyone using the camry struts, but some have used the springs from the camry. the lower end of the strut mount is different, uses larger dia bolts. the camry spring is actually softer than the stock spring, more of a "luxury" ride. but they are longer so they raise the car.

there is a larger dia strut assembly that has a similar length and stoke that came in the corrolla All-track, that will work well in the TErcel4wd if you swap out the upper mount. it gives about an inch of extra ride height as I recall, stiffer spring and larger dia strut tube (stock Tercel is 1.5" and the All-track strut is 2" dIa). the All-track is a heavier car so the spring is more stiff. It might be the same strut used in the Camry, but I do not think so. it would be good if it was, the All-trac corolla is hard to find in the wrecking yards.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Terdcell
My tercel:: 1985 4wd sr5 wagon

Post by Terdcell »

dlb wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:46 am I know everyone hates being told "do a search" but there are countless threads on this topic. Just search "Camry strut"

But also, keep in mind that if you do a lift without lowering the transmission, you are going to wreck CV axles fast. A few members here have documented how they lowered the other stuff to prevent that. I think it was Professor who detailed it best.
No worries did a little more digging and found the thread..
Think I’m gonna just keep it stock for now..
1985 4wd sr5 wagon
1981 3door hatch