'83 T4WD SR5 wagon added to wrecking yard in Sacramento, CA on 2/17/2022

Need a car part and don't know where to get it or how to install it. Look here!
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

'83 T4WD SR5 wagon added to wrecking yard in Sacramento, CA on 2/17/2022

Post by garyfish »

the single photo in the listing doesn't reveal much, unfortunately

https://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/JT2AL35W7D0025941
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016
Neu
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 No Mods

Re: '83 T4WD SR5 wagon added to wrecking yard in Sacramento, CA on 2/17/2022

Post by Neu »

If someone goes there let me know. I might be willing to make a trip down there in a few weeks. Hopefully they don't junk it.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

photos shows it is an SR5, which means 5 speed manual 4wd trans. it appears to have decent seats and the inclinometer. it also appears to have high intensity light conversion too.

If it was closer I would go look at those head lights, and perhaps snag the transmission just to have a spare.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Grendle

Post by Grendle »

If anyone makes it down, I could use the grill and headlight assemblies. Don't really need the LED conversion part as I'd prefer to go with a Hella setup for normal bulbs, if that makes it a cheaper pull. LMK a price pulled and shipped to Dallas.
frenchies22
My tercel:: 1983

Post by frenchies22 »

I need a transmission if anybody checks it out! I am thinking about driving to go check it but I am six hours away.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

frenchies22 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:07 pm I need a transmission if anybody checks it out! I am thinking about driving to go check it but I am six hours away.
if you do, there are a few checks you can do. get the transmission out and than shift it though all the gears, turning the input shaft by hand, and observe the output always turns in each gear. try it in both fwd and 4wd. Put some pressure on the output so it puts a bit of force on the gear teeth and feel that the bearings and gears all turn smoothly. Than pull the drain plugs and inspect the magnet on the plug for metal parts (fine metal shavings are normal wear, you want to look for broken metal parts). You can also pull the front cover and inspect the ring and pinon gears are in good shape. you can not really tell if the front diff bearings are good by looking at them, but those rarely fail, though at times the ring and pinion gears can disintegrate from low oil and abuse.

if it goes though all the gears smoothly, it is likely okay. Not a perfect test, but usually if it rotates smoothly thorough all the gears it will be okay. better to know as much as possible before you take it home and get it in the car and find out it is trashed. of course, the ultimate test is to drive it, and the yard usually will warranty it for 30 days. but it is a big job to install it, and find out it is bad, pull it out and take it all the way back to the yard for a refund.

good luck.
frenchies22
My tercel:: 1983

Post by frenchies22 »

Hey, thank you for the advice, yea it seems these transmissions are becoming hard to come by. I am thinking about pulling mine and see what failed and hopefully it may be repairable...
toongsaram
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel 4wd SR5

Post by toongsaram »

Says removed from yard. Did I miss my chance, or could it have been relocated somewhere?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

it got 4 months in the yard, typically what ever is not sold on it after that all of what is left gets sent to the crushe. you have typical only 90 days to get what you want or it goes away.

it would be a real shame if they sent it to the crusher with a good transaxle in it, but that would not be the first time that has happened. even for parts alone, spending a hour pulling the trans and paying $150 for it (or what ever the going price is now) makes it a bargain even if just for parts, to keep another 4x4 Tercel on the road.