Grill Downgrade - parts list needed

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
Grendle

Grill Downgrade - parts list needed

Post by Grendle »

The '87 I just bought has some custom replacement headlights off a non-wagon later Tercel. They work, but they don't fit right, and now that I've had time to dig in, I'm not sure there's any solving. I know 87 headlight assemblies are harder to come by. Would someone that's done a bit of grill work mind giving me a list of parts besides the grill I'll need off an 86 or earlier to swap out? For the actual sealed beam lamps I plan to do a Hella conversion, so the lights are the only part I don't actually need. Thanks!
Grendle

Re: Grill Downgrade - parts list needed

Post by Grendle »

nm - I did some ebay searching and it looks like the headlight assembly and mounting brackets are easy enough to find together, and I can't see anything else I'd need based on google images and my own grill setup.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Grill Downgrade - parts list needed

Post by Petros »

I have done this conversion: you will need the grill itself. side marker lights (corner lights), the head light mounting assemblies that include the alignment mechanisms, and the plastic chrome trim around the head lights (that include clear marker lights next to the headlights).

most of the parts as I recall will bolt up, and all the connectors work as well, except for the headlight connectors. those changed from the seal beam to the element type housing, but you should be able to adapt any head light connector plug from any vehicle with the same type of connector necessary for your conversion head lamps. if you are going with LED headlights you will also need to add a resister to make the system work properly since the LED do not draw as much power.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)