Yet another carb question...

How-to's and repair secrets for your 4WD can be found here. Have a question? Ask it in here!
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Re: Yet another carb question...

Post by MrWrench »

Nordical25 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:26 pm Swapping a new carb can work if a new gasket kit cannot fix issues.
It is a possibility as to what I'll be doing next. I want to try a few more things before I go crazy. The car ran perfectly fine until I did a few doughnuts in an icy parking lot and then it started struggling. I was unaware the thermostat was stuck and think that probably didn't help. But it was extremely cold and the temp gauge didn't get above half.
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Nordical25
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 2 4wd 1987's. One with 4a, other with 3a

Re: Yet another carb question...

Post by Nordical25 »

I see. Then this sounds a lot of a dirty fuel system issue to me. Your engine pumps a lot of fuel due to high rpm and due to mechanical fuel pump when you do doughnuts with your car. You have also throttle open so lots of fuel and air flow through carb. So if a new carb will fix this issue, then you want to also consider cleaning your fuel system (lots of dirt inside tank goes to carb). Has your car been unused occasionally? Then a tank can start to rust.

And do you use ethanol fuel? If the ethanol content is over 5%, the ethanol starts to "clean" your system, which can cause clogged carburetor if you don't have a clean tank. There is another fuel filter inside tank but it can get broken, which could help to jam your carb even worse if you drive without fuel filter in the engine bay. My previous fuel tank was like that. Everything from fuel pickup line to fuel gauge had rust. And lots of small debris and rust inside my tank.

Stuck thermostat should be ok then if you can trust your temperature gauge. Everything below red zone should be ok according to Toyota manual.