Manual trans freezing overnight.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Cadendoo22
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota tercel sr5 4wd

Manual trans freezing overnight.

Post by Cadendoo22 »

My tercel has recently gotten into the nasty habit of the shifter freezing overnight. The car drives just fine but only in the gear it's left in as the shifter (shift linkage?) Is completely frozen. If I drive around for a bit and warm it up it'll thaw out enough I can shift but it still takes 15 - 20 min to get warm enough. I read on another post on the forums that water may have gotten into my shift linkage? I don't know much about transmissions but I tore into it as much as I could from the interior (unscrewing the center console, and removing the shift boot.) And can't see any water or anything as of yet. I stopped when I got to a cover that has 6 bolts, right on top of the transmission. Should I dig into the trans further? Or should I try something else?
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Manual trans freezing overnight.

Post by dlb »

Yes, remove that cover with the 6 bolts. There is probably water in there. The front bolts are a little annoying to access, if you have flex-head ring wrenches it won't be an issue though.
Cadendoo22

Post by Cadendoo22 »

dlb wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:21 pm Yes, remove that cover with the 6 bolts. There is probably water in there. The front bolts are a little annoying to access, if you have flex-head ring wrenches it won't be an issue though.
Thank you very much Ill update tomorrow!
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

I had this happen a couple years ago when we had freezing temps for a month solid and I was commuting in the Tercel.

I didn't have the shifter "cup" filled with water, but what DID happen to me was the "shift lever return spring assembly" (basically a hollow bolt, filled with a spring and capped with a plug that pushes the shifter back to the neutral position) got water in it, froze/rusted, and I was locked out of reverse.

To fix the problem, I removed the offending plug/bolt thing (there are two, one on each side) and let it soak in a penetrating oil, like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster. I pumped the plunger while submerged to break down and expel as much goop from the inside as possible, then I did the same soak/purge procedure in a cup of WD-40.

I've not had any problems with the shifter since, and it gets driven in snow often. The link below is a photo of the "plunger." you can see the little hole on the end of the piston that allows water in, as well as the corrosion it causes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By0BkLdghmD ... =copy_link
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Cadendoo22

Post by Cadendoo22 »

Cadendoo22 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:45 pm
dlb wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:21 pm Yes, remove that cover with the 6 bolts. There is probably water in there. The front bolts are a little annoying to access, if you have flex-head ring wrenches it won't be an issue though.
Thank you very much Ill update tomorrow!
There was about 3 - 4 inches of muddy water in there, so I'd dare say I found the problem. Thanks for the help everyone.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

water in the shift linkage chamber. pull the boot and console from the inside, and remove the linkage chamber cover, the shift lever will come with it. it is a separate compartment, clean it out, it will be full of rusty, scummy water (it will freeze when it is below freezing, locking up the shift lever). lubricate the parts with grease, some have even packed the compartment with grease to keep water from collecting in there.

the problem is your rubber boot is crumbled away, allows water to splash up into the compartment. you can fabricate a boot with a bicycle inner tube and zip ties, but I understand there is a jeep boot that fits perfectly, about $16 as I recall, on Amazon, and some off road parts suppliers.

Just getting the water out of there will solve your problem for now, get or make a boot for it ASAP however so you will prevent further rust and damage in the future.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
garyfish
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5, stock; 1987 T4WD DLX wagon, manual tranny

Post by garyfish »

^^^ "... there is a jeep boot that fits perfectly, about $16 as I recall, on Amazon, and some off road parts suppliers."

viewtopic.php?p=115064
1985 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon, 300K
1987 Tercel DLX 4WD wagon, 6-speed manual, 274K -- got this one running Jan. 2015 (had been sitting for 2 years); this has been my daily driver since 2016